Sunday, July 6, 2014

Neat Birds of Prey Around our Farm

We have some very pretty birds of prey around our farm.  I wish I had a better camera to get close ups.   We have a tree on the edge of the field that a Red Tailed Hawk is usually perched in.  This is an excellent spot for hunting.  We also have some American Kestrels that nest in a house that was put up on our barn to attract them.  We have had a family of Kestrels return for 10 years.  This year was the first that they have decided to stay this long.  I see them and hear them every day.  They are so pretty.  






Yep, I'm taking your picture






The Kestrels do NOT like this hawk, as I have seen them dive at him while he is in this tree.  I did some research and found that Red Tail Hawks would eat a Kestrel.   I love watching them.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.

3 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i love the sweet little kestrels! dog-eat-dog world out there...

Roan said...

The Kestrels are beautiful. Love their colors. Mr. Kestrel better watch out for Mr. Hawk!

Cranberry Morning said...

I too love watching the birds. I always thought it was interesting that our German Shepherd would chase birds of prey off our property, even the air space above our fields, but had no interest in songbirds.