Sunday, July 20, 2014

More With Martha - My Independent Hen

In case you are a new follower, I have a hen named Martha.  She is very independent - smarter than the average hen.  She had been missing, or so I thought for over 11 days.  I looked everywhere, but no Martha.  Then I saw this black hen hop out of my hosta flower bed.  I looked but didn't see anything.   However, she was in there setting on a nest of eggs.  This afternoon I heard a "cheep, cheep" and I knew they were hatching.  Not all her chicks mind you....but she is the mama hen.  





Here's hoping these "make it" - I've not had much success with chicks this summer.  Speaking of that, the other morning, Al says look on the barn roof - we got the binoculars to see it more clearly - a white chicken body in pieces.  We think maybe an owl.   Circle of life.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

4 comments:

  1. Awwww, so sweet, love those wee Chickies, Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am glad you found Martha! And she came with a surprise, or a bunch of surprises. Good luck little chickies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm glad that wasn't Martha on the roof! I want some chicks to raise for meat chickens and am having a hard to finding some local. Randy doesn't want a rooster so we can't raise our own. I hope these chicks survive! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete