Monday, July 22, 2013

Motivational Monday - Success and Making Do


What does it mean to "make do?"  I looked it up, this is the definition:  "to settle for, accept and cope with, manage to get along with."    I would actually say to get along with out too. 

I'm sure we all can think if times in our lives when we had to  "make do"... basically, to accept things for what they are.   I like the saying:  "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade." 

First, I LOVE lemonade!  Second, what choice do we have?  Third, take charge of the situation and try your best to "make do."
 
I think of many situations in my life, seems like I was born to "make do" - not that I am feeling sorry for myself - I know I'm blessed!  However, I'm thankful for the training and trials that have prepared me for knowing HOW to "make do."  NOTE:  Mamas teach your children how to "make do" - don't spoil your children with stuff.  NOTHING compares to a good work ethic, coping with less and making do!!


I read this post:  http://www.inc.com/kevin-daum/8-things-really-successful-people-do.html   These tips are in the perspective of business, however still applicable to everyday living. 

1. Make Materialism Irrelevant

Fancy cars and houses are all well and good, but many foolishly focus on the byproducts of success, rather than concentrating on building sustainable success in the first place. Establish a bare minimum for your material needs, and then you can enjoy the benefits of success, debt and stress free.

2. Enhance Knowledge

Success comes faster to those who are open, active learners. The higher up the success ladder you climb, the more complex the systems and opportunities that are presented to you. Absorb all the information you can and if you sense a gap you can't fill, connect with people who have the knowledge you need.

3. Manage Relationship Expectations

People in your life require time. Successful individuals attract folk and so they have to carefully regulate the time they can spend with others. It's hard to limit the time you share and still make people feel important. Make choices about the people who matter to you and determine how you each can get value from your interactions. Then make sure they understand your limitations so they don't take it personally when you can't be present.

4. Practice Emotional Self-Awareness

Not all successful people are calm and nice. In fact, many can be volatile. But most are very aware of their tempers and idiosyncrasies. They know how to use their emotions to get what they want from life and work hard to make sure feelings don't become a detriment. Know yourself and learn how to let your emotions work for you in positive ways.

5. Commit to a Physical Ideal 

Everyone has a vision of their own perfect body. They don't have to be fashion models or athletes to be happy. But physical health is a consideration in their life and it's a big distraction when it gets out of whack. Determine the body you believe is worth working for and set a game plan to achieve and maintain it.

6. Gain Clarity About Spirituality

There are many highly successful people like Richard Branson and Warren Buffett who don't consider religion to be important or relevant. But they have a clear point of view as to the role spirituality plays in their life. Find your own way to be at one with the universe and be clear and deliberate in how you practice.

7. Adhere to a Code of Ethics  

Really successful people live by rules. They may not be the rules of others, but consistency is important for them to maintain power and stability. Their individual view of how the world works is the basis for how they believe people should be treated and they will defend it until their dying day. Determine your ethical lines and broadcast them loud and clear so people around you know where you stand.

8. Focus on Time Efficiency

Prioritization is a key component of success. You can't reach your pinnacle if you are wasting time on distractions. Integration of activities frees up time for greater achievement. Spend your time on activities that are fun, enlightening and productive and soon you'll have gained hours to reap the benefits of success.
Ultimately, really successful people live their lives by design instead of default, so if you want to be one of them, dedicate time and effort to determining the plan for your preferred future and execute that plan in a focused and consistent manner

I recently read another article about the most successful people and what they all have in common.  One of the most significant things was their ability to accept the situations in life that they were in.  Reinventing themselves, adjusting their behavior and attitude and learning to "make do." 

I have been working on ME this year.  I have been reflecting, studying, changing and motivating myself to strive to be "better."  I hope these Motivation Monday's posts are not only helping me, but others as well.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin. 

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jacky! I enjoy reading your Motivational Monday posts! They are "motivating" and encouraging! These tips are definitely applicable to our lives as well as our jobs/business! The one about time efficiency speaks to me! I'm trying to manage my time so that I can do things that are "fun"! That doesn't happen on a daily basis yet, but I'm trying to do a little something fun more often than I did! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting list. I enjoyed reading through - my motto in life is 'use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without' - I see that theme in all your points. I also see the common thread of setting boundaries in each of your 8 points.
    you've given me some things to think on this week, thank you!

    ReplyDelete