Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Lesson 4 - How to Turn it Over to Jesus

These posts about "How to turn it Over to Jesus" - are a series of lessons I feel go in order - a part of His plan to build my faith.  Please go back and read them.

Lesson 1:  Learning to NEED Jesus
Lesson 2:  Learning to TRUST Jesus
Lesson 3:  Learning to LISTEN to Jesus

and Lesson 4:  Learning to WALK with Jesus

There we were in the hospital waiting room, waiting for the urologist to talk to us.  "Mr. and Mrs. Luetschwager?"  "Come into this room and wait for the doctor."  Wait, wait to hear what he found...wait to hear an answer.....wait to hear words I  didn't understand.  "In all my years as a physician, I've only ever seen this one time,  it was during my residency fellowship at Detroit Children's Hospital.  I believe what your daughter has is Rhabdomyosaracoma, a soft tissue tumor - cancer."   He proceeded, "do not go home and look this up, do not research this, it will only scare you.  This is a very rare form of cancer.  You will need to go to a pediatric oncologist."  

A Rhadomyowhat???  No....but, I knew already....the day before.  We left the hospital that day with words we didn't understand, heads full of - what next - and Anna carrying her urine bag in a purse.  That was a Friday.

We went home, made arrangements to go to Mayo Clinic on Monday, Al took off work and we told our family.  No one knew except our family and close friends.  

At this time our pastor was leaving.  His wife's dad was pastor of a large church in Eau Claire.   Our pastor would take over that church.  He was gone this weekend and we had a guest minister.  My brother Frank lead worship service, we planned on having the church pray for us at the end of the service.  No one knew yet....then the guest pastor came up and preached his message.   The title of his message was  "God will give you the shoes you need for the path you are on"   I couldn't believe it - I felt like it was a message straight from Him to us.  Honestly, I couldn't tell you the passage of scripture used, what all he said, only...."God was going to give us the shoes we need to go on this cancer journey."

After he spoke, my brother Frank came to the pulpit....he too was overwhelmed with the message...."what a great sermon for us all, but especially the Luetschwager family"  and he proceeded to tell the church about Anna.  We came up for prayer as a family - we all were in this together - they laid their hands on us and the church prayed!

The guest minister that day....became our current pastor.

So, with a set of sturdy shoes, we set out for Rochester, MN and the Mayo Clinic.

"And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known; I will make darkness light before them and crooked things straight.  These things will I do unto them and not forsake them."  Isaiah 42:16

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment