Saturday, September 12, 2020

Oven Dried Romas

 Late in life, like maybe a few years ago, I tried a sun dried tomato in something I ordered from a cafe.  I loved it.  I grew up watching my mom can jar after jar of everything, including tomatoes.  I myself have done the same for decades.  Only, now with just Al and I, we don't need 50 quarts of....anymore.  So, this year I purposefully regulated my tomato plants.  I focused on Romas, because I wanted to do this....oven dried romas (packed in olive oil)


Seriously, they are like candy, so sweet and chewy.  This is so easy to do.   Pick, wash, slice your tomatoes in 1/2.  Place on a sheet lined with parchment.  Drizzle olive (or any oil) on top and sprinkle with your favorite seasoning.  I did garlic salt and Italian blend (dry).  Put in a 200 oven for 4-? hours.  When the tomato is leathery not burned, they are done.  






I packed them in a jar, covered with olive oil and put in the refrigerator.  So easy.  This is "process" is something I really enjoy - "seed to jar" kind of thing.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


5 comments:

  1. I must say they look delicious. I will have to try this myself, maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is impressive, I really like the idea of trying this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look wonderful! Sun-dried tomatoes aren't cheap either.

    ReplyDelete