Thursday, August 13, 2020

Lessons from the Monarch

 Female monarch butterflies lay their eggs in a sticky substance on the underside of milkweed leaves, which is extremely toxic.  When the eggs hatch the caterpillar survives on the milkweed leaves.  As an adult, each monarch retains that toxin in their body, which protects them from predators.

We could learn alot from this.  When we find ourselves in a sticky situation, surrounded by toxic "things" which we ultimately will feed on; keep in mind, that "toxin" may protect you later on.  That "toxin" may even become the "medicine" you need to overcome.  


During it's 100's of miles of migration, each butterfly relies on the huge amount of fuel it ate as a caterpillar.  So, when you are consuming those things that are "toxic" keep in mind, you will need them for fuel.  From personal experience, I can tell you that, some of my greatest successes have begun amongst "toxic."  I used all that "fuel" to push me, motivate me.


After the caterpillar consumes all their fuel, they spin a beautiful cocoon.  While in this chrysalis stage, it's busy making a wonderful, beautiful transformation.   You know, we all need a time to rest, reflect, digest the "toxic" and use it to transform us into a beautiful new version of ourselves.  


My 2020 word of the year...I wonder how many of us, in light of what 2020 gave us so far, have words that "fit."  Mine was Progression....it has been!  I was thinking on this when I saw that monarch butterfly.  I've been on a progression, even in all of "this" to become a better version of me.  When I looked up facts about the monarch, I had to laugh at where I am actually in my progression.  I just told someone, ever notice just when you are starting to get your "sh t" together, someone/thing tries to flush you down.  That's how I know, I'm on the right path.  The "toxic" feeding, storing, digesting isn't hurting me, rather helping me.   Helping me trasform into something better.  Please don't read into this post...it's just an analogy of nature -vs- life.  I'm not thinking on anyone other than myself, Lord knows, I feed me enough "toxins."  


Be a butterfly.
Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

2 comments:

  1. Incredibly beautiful photos Jacky!! And very powerful words and lesson.... I knew that monarchs laid their eggs on milkweeds, and that the larvae ate the leaves, but did not know about the toxicity part. Nor have I ever considered that the toxicity I encounter could ultimately protect me or help me grow. You've given me much food for thought tonight..... Great post! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Jacky! We have an island here where the Monarchs land in the Spring and Fall. It is an awesome sight! Janice

    ReplyDelete