Thursday, August 27, 2020

Gussied Up Apartment

 This is the fictional story that continues with Maragarite an English teacher at Tinley Park High School.  This is the premise of our VIRTUAL August Sale Event Link here:  


Margarite wasted little time in working in the old garage.  Mrs. Klein checked in on her throughout the days that she spent cleaning, sorting and fixing.  Margarite could see that Mrs. Klein was rather lonely and her frequent check ins were more of an excuse to visit.  "Now, if I'm bothering you honey, please let me know," Mrs. Klein would say.  "Oh, you're not, I enjoy the company."  As Margarite worked, Mrs. Klein would share a story about each tentant that once owned an item.  Margarite was amazed with her memory and attention to every detail as she regaled her stories.  "Oh, that old table belonged to Mr. Winkleman, he was an accountant.  That little school desk belonged to Miss Schmidt, she taught in a one room school house.  That old typewriter, it belonged to Mr. Stencil, he wrote a book about insects, there is an interesting story about him..." and the stories would go on and on.  "Oh, honey I've talked your ears off." She would say.  "I'll make it up to you with a piece of my chocolate cake, I'll be right back."  And off she would go to bring back a little treat.  Margarite thought, "I've never been so spoiled."   

The activity in the old garage out back was causing some unexpected visitors.  "What are you doing?" one of the other tenants asked.  "Well, I'm cleaning out this old garage for Mrs. Klein and using some of these items to gussy up my apartment." Margarite said.  "Well, honey, looks like those items need to be gussied up too" laughed one elderly lady.  "Are you going to use that old coffee pot?  If not, I could use it."  Another asked.  Often times, Mrs. Klein was present as well.  "Yes, if you could use that old thing, please take it."  Each day, as Margarite worked, she was meeting more of the other tenants.  As one would leave, Mrs. Klein would add a little tid bit of information about each.  "Well, that was Mrs. Johnson, you know, her son is a pastor."  It was never gossip, but just little pieces of the other's life.  She happen to think that this was just the connection to her community she longed for from her visit to Three Lakes.  How could she not have seen that this apartment was her community.  She vowed to not let the interaction with her new friends end when the old garage was clean.

"I think I'll take this old desk up to the apartment" Margarite told Mrs. Klein.  "You know, it would work as a little book case on the seat and I could store extra papers in the desk."  "That sounds like a good idea," Mrs. Klein said.  "I'm sure, Miss Schmidt would be happy to know this old desk had a new life."  




Margarite carried the litte desk to her apartment.  As she did, she thought of Miss Schmidt as a teacher in a one room school.  She couldn't help but think of how difficult it would have been to teach all grades and subjects.  "I have my hands full with high school English," she said to herself.  "I never met you Miss Schmidt, but I do love your little desk."  As she looked around her new space filled with different things from the old garage, "well, little apartment, a few more things and I think you will be gussied up just right!"  Margarite told herself, "I am even more attached to the story behind each item."  She was so pleased with how it was all coming together and within her budget.  "I couldn't love this more, if I would have spent all my money on it."  The lessons this experience taught her...priceless.  




Follow along the next few days in story and see the items we will offer for sale on Saturday, August 29.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  



2 comments:

  1. Sweet story my friend....and precious old desk. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. So love that desk and those books are amazing. They dont create graphics like these anymore. Janice

    ReplyDelete