Monday, August 27, 2018

Motivational Monday - Hold'em or Fold'em

"You've got to know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em, know when to walk away, know when to run....."

O.k. now try to get that song out of your head....thanks Kenny Rogers.  

I used a deck of cards analogy just yesterday talking with Justine about something that happened to me on Friday.  This song came to mind this morning for my Motivational Monday post.  It's not the post I was working on in my head, I'll save that one for another day.....sometimes life throws you another post.  

I was talking with Al the other night and I came to the conclusion that I'm am and I always have been the "cheerleader."  Oh, I never was a real cheerleader....I was too chubby.  Anyway, looking back, I have always been the one cheering others on, patting them on the back and sticking up for the underdog.  

Did I ever tell you about my experience at Auctioneering School?   First off, it was a week away from Al and my girls, in another state, I drove to, by myself and attended with 40 other people I never met.   As the days went on and we practiced our "calling" I was the one and I mean ONLY one to start to clap for the others even when they sucked and trust me they did!  After I started, the rest of the class joined in.  

Every time, I mean EVERY time it was my turn - no one....not one clap.....are you kidding me.  I finally said....(and by the way, don't give me a microphone...LOL) "hey, I clapped for you guys and some of you really suck!"  It was not till that moment several days into the week....that they finally clapped!  Do you know how hard it is to do something your not the best at and not receive any encouragement or affirmation - well, let me tell you, it was tough!  The lack of it made me, force them, to do so.  I went from cheerleader to judge and jury.  And that right there my friends is me!

After a bit of self reflection, I have come to the conclusion that I must embrace my "specialness,"  I have an unique placement on the "spectrum" somewhere between manic and depressive, in the middle of OCD, skirting around Asperger's  and shake in a bit of "I need to tell the truth" and "you need to hear it" right there....that's it....you have me.  Don't get me wrong, when I was a kid, lack of diagnosis and understanding all this was the norm.  Thank God it was!  

You can try to deny, but all of us - we ALL are on the spectrum!  I'm not trying to deligitimize diagnosed syndromes, these are real and for some real hard to live with.  I am, however, trying to state that we need to learn to work with it - the special gift God created us with.  

Somehow, this post did lead into the one I was working in my head - I love that!  I admire Temple Grandin - she spells it out so well here in this video: 
 https://www.ted.com/talks/temple_grandin_the_world_needs_all_kinds_of_minds#t-154694
I will have more on that in future posts.  



Ok, after saying all that, where does the hold'em and fold'em come to play...who holds what cards....and why the analogy?  

I use it to Motivate us to know ourselves, when we are gonna blow, when we are gonna cry, when we are gonna (yes I'm saying gonna....cuz... I'ma gonna try to explain this) when we are to walk away and when we are to run.  Guess what?  We can decided - yep, it's up to us!  Make the right choice.  I've made lots of wrong ones in my life and then had to regret it later.  

The next time you are in a situation where you're gonna....(fill in the blank)....think on Kenny Rogers....look at your hand, know your cards, know yourself and make a choice.  Hold'em, fold'em, walk away or run....it's your choice....choose wisely my friend.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.    

No comments:

Post a Comment