Monday, August 13, 2018

Motivational Monday - Directions

At last week's Bible study, my sister, Lori shared a story about her experience with choosing her own route, rather than following what the GPS told her to do.  She looked at a paper map and found a short cut.  It really wasn't, rather it ended up turning into a "cow trail" in a swampy woods.  She crossed paths with ATVs - it was probably meant for them, not cars.  I'm sure you can see where her story was going in relationship to a Bible study.  Just to be clear, this post is not meant as a Bible study, rather an observation about directions.

That story, had my thinking about following directions.  I was that child who struggled, first with even reading and understanding the directions and second, sticking to the task as I'm too easily distracted.  I often times look for my own way to do something, make a task easier or even create a new plan.   How about you?  Do you read and follow all directions or do you veer off and try it your own way?   


   (from my trip to Peru, Machu Picchu, where I did stick to the path and follow it)

So, where am I going with this Motivational Monday post?  Follow directions?... not follow directions?  What are you try to say, Dicky Bird?

My sister said that the path she took, was scenic.  Things she wouldn't have experienced if she had followed the designated route.  However, her route took about 45 minutes longer than expected.   Both paths ended in the same place, via a different experience.  

I guess, that's my point.  Your choice, my choice - the path we took - may lead us both to the store, however not by the same experience.  I may choose the unpredictable cow trail while my best friend chooses the pavement.  Neither of us are wrong, rather we picked what was best for us.  Knowing your strengths and weaknesses are important when picking a path or sticking to a plan.   It would be easier for me and Al....most times....if I did stick to my plan and/or follow directions.  It can make more work for us when I don't.  However, our lives are full of wonderful experiences, we might not have had without my crazy "hair brained" ideals.  (smile).   

So, if you follow directions, line by line or not, I hope you enjoy the experience while doing it.  Life is full of choices, some we regret and others we cherish.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  




No comments:

Post a Comment