Monday, May 7, 2018

Motivational Monday - #speakmytruth

Over the past week or two, I've had several friends and even family tell stories of issues they or their children had to face in uncomfortable situations.  As each shared their story, I listened or read (facebook) and thought, "well, why didn't you do this..."  

In one situation I actually said..."well, I would have done this...."  After this person listened, she said..."well, Dicky Bird...I can't do that...I wish I could...but, I am not able to say what I think like you do."  

This had my thinking about the "why" I can.  Maybe it's being last of 6 kids, maybe it's partly my genetics, maybe it's because we weren't rich, maybe because of defending my heritage, maybe it's because of my being picked last, maybe it's advice given me by my mother...(don't start a fight, but if someone is picking on you, make sure to get in the first punch and make it count....yes, she said that) Disclaimer, I've only been in a few fist fights and most of those were with Ricky Kalbes.  

The "why" is just part of me.  It's just a fire of passion I have inside my belly when I know something isn't right, or someone is being treated badly, or someone does something to my kids or family....I just can #speakmytruth.  I will admit in doing so, I might not have always reflected the best version of me.  However, as I age, I try to use it more wisely.  

All I know is, I have to live with me and if I don't #speakmytruth when I need to, I am miserable.  I don't go around being mean...or I try not to.   


I like to think of this, from Spider-Man, "with great power, comes great responsibility."  I know, not the best reference, but it keeps me in check.  I also think on Ephesians 4:15 "speaking the truth in love."  Now, I've seen that scripture used by others to justify bad behavior.  Shame on them!  It's with great power, scripture should be applied to our lives, not to justify ourselves, but to convict us so we may change.  

I write this today as my Motivational Monday post to encourage you to #speakyourtruth too.   My experience has been that in most cases when you do, you will receive respect and be happier with yourself.  Now don't go and dig up stuff from your past to get all worked up about....it's in the past.  Start small..."nope, I don't think I can stay late tonight," "sorry, as fun as that sounds, I have a date with my kids." "I know how you feel about that, but I would rather not hear about it right now," "yes, I agree with you, now let's talk about something else,"  "I have to say, I've asked you to take care of this matter time and time again....are you going to take care of it, or do you want me to?"  (this works every time, LOL).  Whatever the situation is that you need to #speakyourtruth stop, take a breath, think about what you want to say, switch it to a positive response..(smile)...and say it.  Then, don't regret it.  You did it, it's over, don't back track, stick to it and move forward.....Yay! 

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.   

No comments:

Post a Comment