Monday, May 21, 2018

Motivational Monday - Big Fish vs. Little Fish

For my Motivational Monday, I was inspired to write about my experiences in resale.  Hence...big fish vs. little fish.

So, you all know I have been hustling, hauling and haggling my wares since I was old enough to sell handmade Barbie clothes and furniture.  I've been doing "this" my whole life - born into it kinda thing.  Don't get me wrong, I had a "real"  job too...but, left the desk behind 22 years ago.  

It never ceases to amaze me that what I do, isn't looked upon as a "real" job.  Maybe, over the past several years, with the popularity of American Pickers and Flea Market Flip - "this" has become more of an acceptable profession.   

Many years ago, Lisa and I packed up our babies in car seats and drove to a week day auction way up in northern Wisconsin.  As we pushed our strollers to the hay wagon....we heard..."why are those 2 here?!  This is our livelihood our jobs...they better not run our bids....go home already!"   Ya, without sounding bitter, for some reason, we have had to climb our way all the way...enough about that...because there are way more mean quotes said over the years and I wasn't going to sound bitter - I'm better for it!

So, Saturday at the Tansy Hill Barn Bazaar, I had another friend and dealer ask my advice on resale.  I was honest and clear about my experiences and shared that with her.  She was specific in her questions and appreciated my experience and honesty.  Now this person and her partner are kinda the "it" girls in their community and city that they sell in -"big fish in a little pond."  The questions were directed at sharing my experiences in doing a show where I felt like a "little fish in a big pond" and not only that....but, a "fish out of water" kinda thing....  So, my advice was..."do you want to be a big fish where people love you, or a little fish where no one knows you (or wants to be your friend)?"  

I told her,  just because a show draws a crowd 25,000 people, doesn't guarantee your selling to them.  You could set up at an event 15 miles from your home, where half or more of the customers know you...like you...buy from you....and sell waaaayyy  more to them.  And....they appreciate it!  She thanked me and said "that was my thoughts too!"  Now, I get the "I want to be seen" attitude, networking with others in another area, but listen, that doesn't always happen.   

I'm not saying I will NEVER do another show in another state....that's silly...I probably will.  However, my best show is always my own event, Ringle Harvest Day http://ringleharvestday.blogspot.com/ and https://www.facebook.com/RingleHarvestDayFleaMarket/.  After the sale on Saturday at Tansy Hill Farm - it looks like that one will be a close second.  So, I will save my best primitive and farm items for those events - where I know everyone and they appreciate my wares.    It won't make my LIKES any bigger - but, that's only a number.  The number of people who LIKE me is far more!  I was told one time..."well, you have your haters...and I mean HAY TERS!"  Ya, that was said to me...hey, Better not Bitter Dicky Bird.... However, I just keep swimming....




Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment