Saturday, December 17, 2016

Killarney, Ireland - Ring of Kerry

The drive to Killarney reminded me of Wisconsin with it's rural setting, green rolling hills and pastures full of dairy cows.  One of the gentlemen on our tour was from Oklahoma.  His brother lives in Neillsville, Wisconsin (less than an hour from us) he said "I bet this reminds you of home."  This part of Ireland I would love to come back to and stay longer.  

Our day began with a jaunting car ride.  I loved it.  I jumped on my own cart so I could sit in front.  The ride took us through Killarney National Park.  Our driver was a hoot!  One of my favorite things we did!








The park is beautiful.  This land was donated to Ireland by the Muckross family.  In the days when having a son was everything to land ownership - the Muckross family only had a daughter.  To keep their family name "alive" they donated their entire estate (25,500 acres) in 1932.  Here is a picture of their estate home.







The Ross Castle is in the park.  Built in the 15th century.  Like all other estates, a long history of ownership.  Now it is maintained and open for tours.  






After the tour, we were off around the Ring of Kerry.  We stopped here for a photo...the dog stole the show! 





Dean bought me one of those stars this gentleman was making.  Thanks again Dean.  Now we are off to The Skellig Experience.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.   

No comments:

Post a Comment