Friday, December 16, 2016

Blarney Castle - Kissing the Stone

The Stone of Eloquence or Blarney Stone is an actual stone built into the tower wall of Blarney Castle.  You need to walk up 127 stone, windy, twisty steps 37 feet up.  Once you reach the top you wait in line to kiss the legendary stone. 

Some say this stone was brought back during the Crusades and was the actual stone Moses struck to produce water during the exodus from Egypt.  Others say, it was the stone pillow of Jacob's that the prophet Jeremiah brought to Ireland.  Another story is that this is the "Stone of Ezel" behind which David took advice from Jonathan and hid from Saul.  This is like all the other stories from Ireland full of legend, magic and mystery.  

For over 200 years, millions of people have kissed this stone.  Reaching the stone isn't as easy as one might think.  You need to lay on your back and slide yourself down backward to kiss it.  Thankfully, there is a man that helps you accomplish this by holding on to you.  It is rather far down and I was wearing slippery leggings...it was scary...especially since I'm a bit of a big girl.  I said "hang on...I'm a big one..."  I don't know if  he understood my humor.  

Kissing this stone guarantees you the "gift of gab" - I already have an ample dose of that.  Now eloquence that would be the gift I am looking for.  










Here's to the gift....

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment