Thursday, December 22, 2016

Cookie of the Week 33 - Snow Globe Cookies

I have had the idea to make cookies like this for several years.  I finally got around to doing it.  I LOVE how they look!  




I started out with a traditional shortbread cookie recipe for the base of the snow globe.

Shortbread Cookie

1 1/2 C soft butter
1 C confectioner's powdered sugar
2 C flour

Whip the butter and sugar till light and creamy; add the flour 1 cup at a time until well blended.  Lightly flour your surface and roll 1/4" thick.  Cut into a shape large enough for your plastic ornament.  This will depend on the size of your ornament.  Bake 350 till golden 8-10 min.   




How you turn these shortbread bases into a snow globe will require your having plastic ornaments.  I found these plastic ornaments at Michael's Crafts several years ago.  They open so you can put different pictures and such in the inside.  The tag says:  Crystal Keepsakes, Westrim Crafts, Van Nuys, CA.  I also looked through a box of vintage items I had for cake decorating, tiny Christmas tree ornaments and other miniature items.  Mine happen to be mostly vintage - you can still buy some new items.  Or, even use candy, gummy or graham bears - ideas are endless.  

I always use royal icing made from meringue powder.  Frost your cookie, add your miniature item, add decorating sprinkles and pipe a line of frosting around the edge to hold the "globe" on top.  That's it - super easy and super cute!  





The snowman is my favorite.  Here are a few of the other ones I made.



Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

1 comment: