Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Hops Plant

 Probably almost 20 years ago, my friend Jackie gave me a shoot from her hops plant.  I planted over by my garden, near an old rusty dump rake.  I love how it looks hanging over the rusty tings.  It has grown into a huge plant with vines stretching several feet away.  This year, they grew over the top of my honeysuckle bush?  I'm not even sure that is what it is...but, I like it and so do the birds and bees.  The vines are filled with hops this year.  Sometimes, I miss cutting the vines for decorations until after they start to turn brown.  This year, I remembered before many turned that way.  


The only bad part was the nettles.  They were growing under that bush too.  I didn't know until I unwound some of the vines from it....sting...burn...

I pulled little bunches and tied them together to dry.  I plan to sell these at the Ringle Harvest Day for a few dollars.  


I had some beautiful gladiolus this year.  I was going to cut this one for a bouquet, but it snapped off....ughhh...


Overall, my 2022 garden hasn't been very good.  Partly due to my lack of pulling volunteer plants....they were tiny little tomatoes and I thought "oh those are cute, I can't pull them."  Now....it's a jungle of cherry tomato vines....not a one producing.  It had my thinking that there must be a blog post in this.  

You know when you know you shouldn't do something, but you think, "it's only a little (fill in the blank)" what harm can it do or be.  Well, little things grown into big things.  Often times taking over the good things and hindering all productivity or progress.  I can't help but think of cookies.  Sure, I like to bake them, "one isn't going to hurt" then around 8 pm I've eaten a half dozen.   I'm sure you can think of this example and some relaventcy in your own life.  

Last year, I had an amazing garden and I kept notes and hints for this year.  Like, don't just wait for sunflowers to go to seed, cut some and enjoy them.   I guess, I will add to it from this year, don't let the "cute little volunteers" grow, they will take over and you'll regret it.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

4 comments:

  1. Oh, those hops look wonderful! How cool would they be hanging on a front door??! I almost planted some by my cornzebo, but heard they were invasive....so now I have wisteria taking things over instead. 😳😬 And then there are the morning glories.... Yes, I know all about those "cute" volunteers. You've never really seen my patio. One literally walks on a bed of petunias, baby's breath, snap dragons and, this year, verbena. I love it, but it really is out of control. And for me to say that, you know it truly is. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still want to see your cornzebo. Yes, they do get out of control - but, so do I...ahaha

      Delete
  2. I love how you come up with your blog posts! You seem to find a lesson in most things in life. Hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete