Sunday, September 25, 2022

Simple Tomato Sauce for Freezer

 I tried something different and I probably will keep doing my preserving this way.  I have had a lack of time to pull out all the things for canning so far this harvest season.  I saw something on Wisconsin Foodie episode for Stoney Acres Farm.  Tony cooked down tomatoes for the sauce on the pizza and it looked super easy.  

We had our first frost the other night.  So I stumbled through the garden looking for some ripe Romas.  I mentioned this before, but I let some volunteer cherry tomatoes grow...they totally took over that end of my garden.  Next year, I will be tough and pull any of those little tender plants - wait, I will transplant them.  Hahaha.  I ended up with a 5 gallon pail full.

Step 1:  Wash tomatoes.  I cut off any tough looking ends and the spots that had touched the ground, cage or another tomato.  I did NOT blanch and peel these, leave the peel on.



Step 2:  Put a cup of water in the bottom of the Nesco.  Set at "steam" and dump the tomatoes in.  Let steam for around an hour - until soft.  I did add extra water because some were sticking to the sides.  I added a "handfull" of salt.




Step 3:  After they are soft, take an immersion blender and carefully break down the tomatoes.  Turn down the heat to "cook" and take the lid off so it will thicken.  I did stir it every hour.  This took like 4 hours, I could have let it get thicker, but I wanted to go to bed...ahaha.



Step 4:  After it is cooked down, let cool and put in freezer bags.  I did 4 Cups per bag, the same as a quart jar.  I filled 8 bags and my canner only holds 7.  Stack the bags as flat as they go into the freezer.  That's it!




When you want soup, chili, spaghetti, pizza, marinara - any of this, pull out your bag and add the spices and cook to the consistency that the recipe requires.  I absolutely LOVE having my own tomatoes to use.  This was so easy, anyone can do it.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

2 comments:

  1. Well, dang....You couldn't have posted this a few days earlier?? 😂 I just finished canning 20+ quarts....and I am exhausted. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I simply love home grown tomatoes. Mine did not do so fair this year...even my cherry ones. Janice

    ReplyDelete