Friday, April 14, 2017

Jesus - My Son, Our Savior

In preparation for this past week's ladies bible study - "The Women of Easter Week" - I thought about something about Mary, the mother of Jesus, that I hadn't before.  As a mother, it really touched me and I wanted to share it with you.

Mary, was so young when she accepted the role as the mother of the Messiah.  I say accepted because scripture tells us in Luke that the angel of the Lord appeared to her and told her these things that would happen.  Mary then says in Luke 1:38 "And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word." And the angel departed from her.

I can't even imagine what was going through her mind as she was left to wonder how all of this was going to happen.  We know the rest of the Christmas story, it's the living up to the Cross story that I've been thinking on.

After Jesus was born and Mary and Joseph took him to the temple, Simeon said to Mary in Luke 2:34 "And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold this child is set for the fall and rising against many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against;  Yea a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also, that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed."  Only a mother would know the pierce of a soul that happens when something happens to your child.

Think about Mary, while other mother's where saying..."oh, my son is walking"  or "oh, my son said his first words" or "oh my son ....whatever new stage and steps these babes/toddlers made."  As other mothers were sharing, I wonder if  Mary was wishing she could say, "well, my son is the Messiah."  We don't really know, but as a mother I do know how we share the steps and stages with each other.

Think about Mary, how worried she must have been to lose her child in a huge city.  If you have ever lost sight of yours in a store for a even a few minutes you know how your heart sinks to your stomach.  

Think about Mary when Jesus told her he must leave home and start his ministry.   I know when mine moved out, it was emotional for me.

Think about Mary when she heard of her son fasting for 40 days and nights.  I'm sure she was thinking, he must be so hungry, I'm sure she was worried thinking about him and worried for his health.

Think on how Mary felt when her arrival was announced in Luke 8:20-21 "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to see you."  He replied, "My mother and brothers are those who hear God's word and put it into practice."  I know Mary understood HIS role and why He said this, but that had to hurt.  

Think about the fear that she must have felt to know that everyone was trying to arrest her son, charge her son with crimes he did not do.




Think about how she felt as her son appears to the crowd - "crucify him, crucify him!"  Oh I'm sure she could see God's plan unfolding, but that was her son they were chanting about.

Think about Mary, as she saw her son, beaten, bloody and nearly broken walking up to Calvary, Gagulta, to be crucified.  Oh the heart ache - piercing in her soul.  

Think on Mary as she looked at her son hanging on the cross - I'm sure she looked up and saw the babe she nursed, the toddler whom she kissed away the tears over scraped knees, the young lad who wanted to learn how to be a carpenter, the man living his heavenly father's plan and ministry - our savior, her savior - The Messiah.  

I know that God had this plan for a sinful world.  He had to robe himself in flesh, become a man - Jesus - to become our sacrificial lamb - redemption of our sins through his blood.  I understand.  

As a mother, I never thought about this in that way.  How Mary felt as a mother.  Mary, also needed Him as her savior, this plan for her son was her gift as well.  I wrote this today, Good Friday, as a reminder.  This wonderful gift He gave all of us - those that accept him, "those who hear God's word and put it into practice."

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.   

Linked to:  http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-art-of-home-making-mondays-please_10.html




3 comments:

  1. So good!! Thank you for sharing! ❤️ It was a great Bible study on Wednesday. I'm glad you wrote about here so I could read it again. It blessed me.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Yes this was a horrible thing for our Blessed Mother Mary to witness of her son being beaten so horrible and crucified for us. I don't know if we could bear this like Jesus did

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Interesting perspective- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete