Monday, April 24, 2017

"I Ain't As Good As I Once Was"




I heard this song the other day, on my way to pick up Lisa.  We went to Water Street Vintage in New London, WI to restock our booth.  I had to laugh at the words, thinking about us....I so wanted to take a picture and post it of us dragging...scooting...sliding...our stuff to our booth....because....we "ain't as good as we once was..."  She wouldn't let me.  It would have been so cute!

Oh how true this song is.  You know, my word of the year is EMBRACE and aging is something I am going to have to try to embrace.  

"I ain't as good as I once was, I got a few years on me know, my how the years have flown, but there was a time back in my prime when I could hold my own...but, I'm as good once as I ever was."  

With that said, I've hired a summer intern to help me with my business, Town Hall Trinkets, LLC.  This will be the year, good Lord willing, that I clean out my old inventory.  I have several people willing to help so that is nice.  

I remember over 25 years ago, when Lisa and I did one of our first antique shows together, there was an older lady watching us carry stuff into our booths.  She said..."girls, you're going to regret that later in life."  As much as we respected Jo Vonnie, she was like 75, of course she couldn't carry in her own inventory, she was old!  We laughed....and kept right on working.  She said that to us many times over the years - oh, why oh, why didn't we listen?  Now, we can hardly carry it in anymore.   "In our prime," Lisa and I would buy out estates and lift heavy pieces of furniture with ease and throw them into a trailer....now, I can carry, stop, lift in the trailer, drop, use the side to get in, pick it up again and scoot it to the back....waaaaa I'm getting old!  But...."I'm as good once as I ever was!"  I proved that yesterday, lifting out a leather love seat from an estate we bought out.  (Smile)

I "pick" differently now too.  Unless it is a good deal - gone are the days of heavy wardrobes and built in cupboards.  If I can't carry it myself, I don't want to buy it because I won't be able to get it into one of my booths.  I do use a dolly, but lifting it out of a van or truck to the dolly is even challenging. 

I am so blessed with a helpful husband, who helps me!   

So, I will "let" other people into my hoarded mess, because I NEED to clean it out and I need to accept the help.  I will try my hardest to EMBRACE this too.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.   



No comments:

Post a Comment