Saturday, July 18, 2015

Reflections on Aging

I turned 49 this past June....49...I don't mentally feel it...but, physically...I do.    

I really challenged myself in Peru.  We walked everywhere - Cusco, Peru is all up hill.  I made the comment, "forget from couch to 5K - I went from couch to Cusco."  Also, we were 11,200 feet up - less oxygen - so all activity was hard.  Little grandmas, carrying packs on their backs were even passing me up on the street.  It was tough.  Not to mention the 5k jungle "walk" through ankle high mud.  I enjoyed myself, but my limits really hit me.  I'm no spring chicken anymore.  Our volunteer group was all college aged - have you tried to keep up with a 20 something lately?  I'm so happy I stuck with the body pumping classes - my muscles were strong - just not the rest of me.  

I guess, I'm thinking at my age, I'm probably going to start seeing life "changes" in my body and mind.  My friend borrowed me a book about "How to Embrace Menopause."  I have found some of the information interesting.  It puts a few things I have been feeling into perspective.

I have had to face and adjust to many role changes - I've not posted about it - but, it has been difficult on me.  I was a very hands on mother, all of my activities were what my girls were involved in.  It is almost a year for us as empty nesters.  I can say, I'm pretty proud of myself for finding constructive things to focus my energy on.  I would be remiss, not to mention, Al and I are very content with each other and have an extremely strong relationship that has become so much stronger this past year.

So this Saturday evening, I will reflect on the opportunities offered in this stage of life, rather than the losses.  I'm gaining a much stronger me.  This will make me a better wife and friend to my husband and better mother and friend to my children.  So, yay for me!  

I was thinking, a reflection really is how you perceive an image -  


Even in challenging times that reflect life's "ripples"


Or, when you are blessed with "smooth waters"


At the end of the day, you have to be happy in your own reflection.  

Reflections from the Amazon of Peru and Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  
  

3 comments:

  1. we all face that aging thing (if we're lucky). when i get frustrated with body sags or tired looking face or whatever, i remember that my sister who passed away at age 47 never had a chance to get old. that helps put it in perspective for me as i've already had 5 more years than she got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacky! I commend you on a job well done! In every aspect you've mentioned! From the couch to Cusco, I mean I think even a person in excellent physical shape could have some repurcussions from that! And from full house to empty nest? In that snow? You are a strong person, Jacky! I'm so glad you have found so many creative ways to keep busy! We're not empty nesters, but I barely have to do anything for my son. He does his own laundry and eats out most of the time. I spend 90 percent of my time during the day, alone. It's not easy to do, but I have found ways to entertain myself. Menopause has many side affects; and many changes goes on in our body until the flow stops. I'm still waiting on mine to stop. Therefore I experience all kinds of weirdness in my body. Thanks for sharing these personal things we didin't know about you. And Happy late Birthday! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete