Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Baking with Leftover Squash and Sweet Potatoes

I had some leftover squash and sweet potatoes from Thanksgiving, so I did some baking.  These are low fat and very good.



I found this recipe on the food network page:  

Sweet Potato Bread:

3 C sugar (I used 2 C white, 1 C brown)
3 eggs slightly beaten
2 C mashed sweet potato (I put mine in blender)
1 t vanilla
3 C flour
1 t baking powder
1 t nutmeg
1 t allspice (I used pumpkin pie spice)
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1 C pecans

Combine sugar, eggs, sweet potato and vanilla in a bowl, mix together (I did all of this by hand).  In another combine all the dry ingredients.  Mix the dry with the wet.  Fold in the pecans.  This makes 2 loafs.  Bake 350 for 60 - 75 min.  





I still had some leftover squash so I looked at this recipe and thought I could make one up using this one as a guide.  Maybe I have watched one too many episodes of Chopped - but, I know you can "hide" ingredients when you add chocolate.  Al isn't a "fan" of squash, but when he came home and saw chocolate cupcakes...with frosting...he ate one.  He said they were very good, he couldn't believe there was squash in them.  

Chocolate Squash Cupcakes:

2 C mashed squash (I used the blender)
3 slightly beaten eggs
1 t vanilla
Mix this together in a bowl.  



In another bowl mix together:
2 C white sugar
1 C brown sugar
1/2 C coco powder



Mix the sugars with the squash mixture.  To that add:
1/2 C vegetable oil
1 T instant coffee (coffee enhances flavor of chocolate)



In another bowl mix together the dry:
1 C oatmeal
2 C flour
1 t baking powder
1 t nutmeg
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

Mix the dry with the wet and fold in 1 C mini chocolate chips.






I put in my muffin and cupcake pans - bake at 350 till done...I didn't keep track of time...

I frosted with a buttercream frosting - Al likes that - but, you could leave it plain too.  



(I LOVE my industrial muffin pan - purchased at an auction at an old bakery in Rib Lake, WI)





Next time you have extra sweet potatoes or squash, give these recipes a try - you won't be disappointed.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.

Linked to:  http://www.oakhillhomestead.com/2014/12/homeacre-hop-98.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:

3 comments:

  1. Oh now I am really hungry I am going to make your muffins but I only have pumpkin I think it will work nicely. Oh I cannot wait. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacky! These recipes look great! I like the step-by-step photos! Unfortunately, we barely had any leftovers, so I will have to cook some sweet potatoes soon! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any combination of squash and chocolate is a hit around our house. It makes the most moist treat ever! I love sweet potato rolls, so I bet this recipe would be great. Pinning it for later use! Did you ever receive an email for our partners in Christmas in the Country exchange? I never did.

    ReplyDelete