Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Corn Tortillas from Scratch

 

Making corn tortillas from scratch is really easy.  There are several steps to it, but the end result is so worth it.

Step 1:

100_1478

I was lucky to find this taco press years ago.  You can do the same with a rolling pin.  The masa is very inexpensive.  The recipe is on the back, however, I use equal parts masa and water.  Mix it until it feels like play dough.  Roll mix into balls and cover with a damp paper towel.

100_1479 

Step 2:

Flatten the balls into rounds.  Put in dry hot pan for several minutes, flipping often – put a “crust” on the outside.

100_1480

 

100_1481

 

100_1482

 

100_1483

Step 3:

Heat some oil in pan, fry the “browned” tortillas until crisp.

100_1487

 

100_1488

The tortillas are done.  I then make something we call “Mexican Pizzas.”  I take the shells from this point, spread them with refried beans, top with taco meat, onions and bake in 350 oven for 10 min. or so.  I then top with cheese and bake until melted.  These are good and a family favorite. 

100_1489

 

100_1490

 

100_1491

TIPS:

Extra shells can be placed in refrigerator to be reheated.  Good as shell (bottom) for taco salad.

When I am frying hamburger (we have our meat made into 2 lb pkgs.), I fry up extra and put it in freezer, so on a busy day, I can take out already fried hamburger and make tacos, sloppy joes, chili other soup. 

Blessings from Wisconsin.

Linked to:


4 comments:

  1. These pictures made me hungry. Yummy. Thank you for sharing this yummy idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez, I guess I should get my tortilla press out and use it more often! I think my problem has always been not getting that crust on them with the initial cooking! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried flour (delicious) but never corn. I will have to keep my eye out for a press. They look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again Jacky,
    I am dropping by to thank you for sharing this yummy recipe over on my blog for The Country Homemaker blog hop last year. I wanted to share with you that this post was the 2nd most popular post of the year for the hop.
    http://mysimplecountryliving.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-country-homemaker-hop-53.html

    Thanks again.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete