Monday, May 9, 2011

Getting the Garden Ready

Here in Ringle, Wisconsin, our claim to fame is bricks.  100 years ago there was a thriving brick yard here.  What do you need to make bricks....clay....and plenty of it. 

In the past 16 years of living here, I have had to move my garden spot 3 times.  I now have it in a spot that is well drained, sunny and protected somewhat from deer.  I have had to amend my soil with compost, manure, leaves, sawdust - anything to "lighten" the clay  up.  After 5 years in this spot, the soil is getting better.  My husband has built me 10 huge raised beds that I plant my tomatoes, peppers and lettuce in.  Four of them are used for my perennials, herbs, blueberries and stawberries (once I clean them out I will post pictures :)...)

It has been a wet Spring so far and the forcast calls for rain all week.  So, yesterday when it was nice out, my husband got out the tractor, drag and disc and helped me get my garden going.  Here are a few pictures of him on one of our tractors


So this week I plan to bring over my aged manure from compost pile and spread it around, let the rain do its thing and hopefully by weeks end I can rototill and get my onions, peas and potatoes in the ground.   I have my tomato and pepper plants started and they are about ready to move into bigger peat pots.  I plan to work on this too.  Thanks for looking at my blog.  Blessings from Wisconsin!

Barn Hop is so much fun!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Now THAT is what I call a garden! So big!
    I cant wait to see the progress throughout the season.

    Great blog, by the way. I'm looking forward to following.

    ReplyDelete