Monday, September 7, 2026

Motivational Monday - Fist or Palm

 Good Monday morning.  I'm going to do a Motavational Monday post - I know, it's been years.  However, the message my nephew shared in church yesterday is worth my sharing because it motivated me.  

I just love when you listen to a pod cast, message or talk when the speaker, shares in a way you understand and not over your head.  


He started with this..."everyone make a fist, now think of this closed fist while I am speaking."  I will share in my words what he said.

Have you ever seen a child have something in their hand?  "Let me see, what is it?"  Nope, death grip.  It may only be an M&M or a jelly bean, but they are not going to give it up.  "If you let me have that, I'll trade with you for what I have behind my back."  I've played that game, as a mother, teacher, leader many times.  The thing is, I might have a full size candy bar behind my back, but if you don't open up your hand, you won't receive it.  


You may think, Jacky is relating this message to her IBM disease.  Well, in a way it it, but in a way not.  

On the way to church, yesterday, the day my nephew gave this message, I asked Al a question.  "Do you think, if I quit doing my Tuesday night lot drops for a few weeks or months, people would quit following me?"  I have really good customers and I would surely hate to lose their business.  I have buildings filled with inventory to sell yet, but winter is coming. 

My nephew's message touched on blueprints.  That one really hit me.  I've always been one to plan things out.  I may not always achieve them, or do them, but I like to plan.  I set out a "blueprint" for my business years ago.  In 40 years, I've reinvented myself too many times to count.  Not because I had to, but because I wanted to grow, change and evolve into a better business.  

I haven't told many people, but I've actually made some tough decisions about my business.  They have been the kind I wouldn't have made if I didn't have IBM.  When I was first diagnosed, I just wanted to "make it" until the end of the year.  Broken femur later, friends helping me, I did.  Then it was "if I can make it to my 60th birthday" and I did.  

Everyone retires from something.  Once retired, you persue things that you really want to do or are interest in.  Working all those years, just to do that, what you love.  For me, my job is what I love doing.  So, I set out to create a new blueprint for me and my business.  However, after this message, I'm just throwing that out the window.

I can't be like a toddler, "no, I'm keeping this!  I'm not giving you my plans!"  "I know what I want, I know how to get to where I want to be, just let me do it."  That's how I've done things for past 40 years.  This message reminded me that my hand is a fist, closed.  I am a person who believes that Jesus has better plans than my own.  How can I expect His blessings when I'm not willing to turn over what I hold so tightly to receive what He has for me.  

Truthfully, if I didn't have this muscle wasting disease, I would be putting that, sales, what I do, to the top of my list of things to do.  Why, partly because I love it and partly because I like feeling relavent.  I have IBM to thank for my seeing this.  Was it part of my blueprint?  No, but I can see the "why" to it.  I've been thinking about ALL the things I've accomplished in 40 years of selling.  I mean, what am I trying to prove.  I've done it and done it ALL to the best of my ablity.  



You know my wildflower field, it has been my peace this season.  I drive my scooter out there multiple times a day.  I'm so thankful for this little piece of heaven we've been given.  I want to retire from the things I make myself do, to the things I want to do.  Yes, part of that will still include selling.  It's in my DNA.

So no formal announcements yet, I just let my fist go yesterday.  Now, my open palms are waiting for my new better blueprint.  Any plans I have for myself or business are no where near as wonderful as I believe He has for me.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


No comments:

Post a Comment