Sunday, July 16, 2023

Chive Vinegar and Panzanella Salad

 It's been awhile.  I'm typing this with 1 hand.  I had to have surgery to replace my thumb tendon.  I'm doing good.  


I made some chive vinegar.


I have an abundance of chives.


Cut off blossoms at peak time.  Make sure to soak in vinegar water to get rid of any bugs.  Then I used my salad spinner to get off all the water. 




Fill a jar with your chive blossoms and pour till covered with vinegar.  I used just regular white vinegar.


Store in a dark place for 2-3 weeks.  Strain and put in clean jars.  



I used it tonight to make a vinaigrette for my panzanella salad.

I had made 2 loaves of sourdough bread and had 3/4 loaf left so I made croutons.  



Croutons are easy to make, dice into chunks, soak in olive oil and spices of your choice.  Bake 350 shaking and tossing until brown and crisp. 

While that was baking I diced up some fresh garden goodies:  garlic scrapes, tomato, zucchini, onions and parsley.  I did this all in same bowl bread cubes soaked in.  I made a vinaigrette dressing using the chive oil, olive oil, spices.  When croutons are still warm, toss in salad, pour over the dressing.  This was the best thing I've eaten in months - so good!





I ate the whole bowl ...


Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


11 comments:

  1. Hope your hand is healing well!

    I love this post. The photos are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading about chives. I use chives like onions, but would be great to use as a viniegrette. Hope your thumb is healing. My nephew is having surgery today for the tendon in his foot. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your nephew had success with is surgery. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. So good to hear you’re doing well after your thumb surgery. I’ve missed your posts! RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope to post more now. I had someone at my uncle's funeral come up to me and say "I miss reading your blog" I didn't even know she did. I missed sharing too.

      Delete
  4. well that food looks so good! Good luck with your thumb.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Sharon - truly beautiful photos of the chive blossoms. Thanks for sharing your recipe(s)....I've never heard of - or thought of - chive vinegar. Does it really taste like chive? I'd be all over that LOL. Ahhh, now I remember you mentioning the thumb issue. Glad to hear you are doing good but it is unfortunate it had to happen when your garden is probably going gangbusters. My knee gave out on me right before the 4th....chondromalacia, bursitis and torn meniscus... Extremely painful and certainly curbed my mobility. Injections and p/t has me mobile again - not perfectly, but certainly tolerably. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that sounds painful! it does smell like chives the taste isn't too strong

      Delete
  6. I like the taste of chives and your chive vinegar looks pretty and I am sure tastes great, especially with your home made croutons. I hope your hand is healing nicely.

    ReplyDelete