Monday, August 30, 2021

Scout of Discarded Heirlooms


 

When you are a "picker" - truthfully, I'm so over that word!  Too much "pickin' and picker" braggin' for me, and I'm a 7, we live for that stuff!

I would rather say I'm an archaeologist of odds and ends, the junkologist of all things hoarded, or the curator of many treasures.  As that....teehee....I found these from the last estate sale we did.  I am so tickled.  If you don't know, I'm Potawatomi and as of my last birthday a "tribal elder" and it comes with cool perks!   

I also have some "hillbilly genes" and it was those from which I was sure my addiction to finding things came.  However, this past June, my daughter Anna and I went on a Laura Ingalls Wilder tour of homestead sites.   On one of the museum tours, we were told of the harships pioneers faced with trying to "lug" their precious treasures and furniture across the plains.  Many times, they had to empty wagons and leave them behind.  I almost fell over and actually laughed out loud when I saw a pictue of the inside of a plains teepee.  In the corner was a very intricately carved what not shelf.  I was told this was very common for the tribes to pick up whatever treasures the pioneers left behind.  Now I can add, scout of discarded heirlooms to that list.  

My gene pool has a double whammy of it, truthfully, I'm swimming in it.  

Have a good week.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

3 comments:

  1. I love that title scout of discard items
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on becoming a tribal elder. I did know that the pioneers left many of their treasures behind on the trek west, but did not know that the tribes picked them up. Thanks for sharing that. I love history and finding treasures of my own picking. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great "digging"...from one archaeologist to another LOL. I am surprised that these aren't considered offensive somehow these days? Yes, I read about the settlers having to leave treasures along the way....and were I Native American in those days, I would had to have had a suite of teepees LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete