Thursday, August 5, 2021

Cultural Arts - Department 18 Cultivate a Connection

It's fair time here in Marathon County, Wisconsin.  I am co superintendent in cultural arts, which is one of the largest in volumn of entries in a wide variety of categories.  We have everything from creative writing, monolouge, felt tip drawing, fired ceramics, nature craft, needle felting, textile painting, collections, holiday decorations truthfully we have hundreds of "lots."  I enjoy looking at EVERY one that comes in! 

This year the dynamics of UW Extension and the Fair Board have been blurred and truthfully, no one understands it.  We had very little communication from the 4H office as to their role, still haven't had that cleared up and as a co superintendent, there were things we probably should have known.  With all that said...I could say more...all the superintendents in our building worked together for the best showing opportunity for each exhibitor.  We ran a skeleton crew in comparison to previous years.  We were down to 2 judges on entry day and 1 judge on danish judging day.  

Our single judge yesterday, Ingrid, has been with our department before, so I was glad it was her.  She is one of the friendliest, fairest judges I've seen.  I hate to even say it, because I don't want to have the fair office not ask her back.  We want her back, for the youth.  She explains things, helps them improve and is truly interested in their work.  Anyway, in past years she and other judges have told our department that "we love coming to Marathon County, because your youth are so talented."  We truely do have some very talented 4Hrs.  In the past several years at least a dozen stand outs.  Some now, have gone on to graphic design, "x" School of Art, selling at studios, art therapist...truly, their 4H experience molded their career.

So, as Ingrid was judging yesterday, I happen to ask her this:  "In all your years of judging fairs (it is 40), in all the other counties you do, is there a project or projects that have really stuck out in your mind that you liked?"  I said, "I'll give you some time to think about it."  She said "I don't need time, it was here in Marathon County.  There was a young man, who had these amazing pencil drawings, mostly livestock, tractors..."  Both Judy and I had the same lightbulb moment and I said "Dathan Smerchek!"  I said "hang on let me pull up his facebook page:  Dathan Smerchek Portraits and I showed her his images.  She said "Yes, that is him.  You know he was so good every year, but I have to think of something to help him improve on so I would say, maybe next year try this or try that, it was hard because he was so good.  However, each year he listened and the next he came back with that improvement."  

So, "being a 7" (enneagram) and wanting to "cultivate (my word of the year) a connection" I messaged Dathan and told him what the judge said.  I didn't expect it, but he message back.   He said "Thank you Jacky and WOW what a huge compliment!  I can honestly credit taking 4H projects to the fair and trying to earn a merit award as a huge reason I developed my art skills as much as I did.  It was my biggest driver for years.  Please tell her I say thank you for such a nice compliment."  

When I read this to her, she was so tickled....she said "it was so nice to hear, that her efforts and time as a judge 'made a difference'."  I have to tell you, she said this to me as she left too, "Thank you Jacky, for doing that" and I said "that's what 7's do."

I don't say all of this to pat myself on the back or toot Dathan's horn...it's just that when you can "cultivate a connection" if that will be a positive experience, uplift all parties involved...do it!  I left feeling complete as well.  

Now, in reading all of this post, you may not know that UW Extension, 4H has had to make many changes and they come at state level.  Educational opportunities at county level have been drastically reduced and it's not just from Covid.  I surely hope, once the muddly waters of who is responsible for what settles, and we have a more clear vision of what 4H will look like.....I hope that the type of experience Dathan had will still be available for future youth.  Yes, 4H is not about the fair, it is an organization that helps educate and develop youth.  However, that experience Dathan had with this judge, that the fair provided, directly impacted the direction of his art.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

Jacky Luetschwager, Popplewood 4H

Department 18 - Cultural Arts 

Marathon County Resident 

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! I think connections are so important and so how we forget that. It happened to my husband at a party we went to and in walked one of his for students (He taught building construction for 25 years) the now man came right up to him shook his hand and said "you saved me I was headed down the wrong path and you saw potential in me when I could not thank you."
    Connections!!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well good on you "7"! I still remember one of my art teachers from school who pushed me. Its those moments that stuck with me all of these years. I knew she cared. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiring post....! I was not fortunate enough to participate in 4H growing up as transportation was always a crippling issue. We farmed and my father worked a full-time factory job as well. When he got home, it was dinner and then evening milkings and chores.... We did always go one day/night to the Lincoln County fair and I was always captivated by all the exhibits and talents. I never realized that judges traveled far and wide like that. Wow! What is "danish judging"?? I hope too that your communication issues get resolved....seems to be a lot of that type of issue going around these days unfortunately. ~Robin~ (PS....I peeked at Dathan's FB page...wow!! What incredible talent is right!!)

    ReplyDelete