Saturday, December 26, 2020

It's a Wondeful Life - Even in 2020

My all time favorite Christmas movie is, It's a Wonderful Life!  I've liked it during all the stages of my life thus far and it has held a different meaning depending on that stage.  The message this movie portrays is timeless.  Times have changed and our American way of life looks different from that 1940's era.  The message, has not. 

At our most hopeless and desperate times, we should take a cue from George Bailey.  As he sat on the bar stool, looking at his insurance policy, he turned to God for answers.  "Dear father in heaven, I'm not a praying man but, if you are up there and you can hear me, show me the way.  I'm at the end of my rope, show me the way God."    

This really hit me differently this year than any other.  Many of us are facing the changes that 2020 has gifted us with.  Yes, I say gifted, I know many not the most pleasant, but it's a gift.  How did you open it?  With a fake smile, "oh, it's just want I always wanted..." or did you say "it's not what I wanted, but I will make it work."  I am an optimist, "Little Miss Sunshine" as my neighbor Mrs. Klein called me.  Not to say, I haven't faced life altering changes, I have!  

I guess, I had my George Bailey moment, I know when it exactly was....the phone rang, I answered and heard my brother say,  "Dicky Bird, they are taking mom to the hospital, she had a stroke."  I fell on my knees, in front of my couch and said "Jesus, I'm sorry I never really 'needed' you, it's your fault, because you gave me such a good mama, but I need you now, please don't let my mom die."  ohhh that moment....and I grew up in the church.  A call on the name of Jesus, clapping hands, speaking in tongues kinda church.  And, I still needed my George Bailey moment.  Little did I know, that moment, in my brokeness, He had plans for my life.  His plans involved my totally needing Him - this brokeness over my mom, who did survive, built my faith in Him.  His ability to help me in that desperate time, was the foundation He was building in me so that when I heard "your little girl has cancer" I could face it and open that gift.  

Maybe in this wonderful life of 202o, you feel hopeless and desperate.  I can tell you, from personal experience, a good ol' George Bailey moment...will make it easier.  It won't make it perfect, because, we aren't in control of anything, we really aren't.   I try to focus on the most wonderful life here, so that in the one here after, it will be the BEST.

"All you can take with you, is that which you've given away" (Peter Bailey, George's dad).  I love that one!  It was on a plaque hanging on the wall in the Bailey Building and Loan.  

My hope for you dear reader is that when you are faced with your Geroge Bailey moment, you can think on his prayer and maybe even mine.  Brokeness, as hard as it is, is a gift.  


Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

6 comments:

  1. Great post. I’ve had those “moments” as well and He always answered, maybe not the answer I wanted at the time, but what was needed. He’s always on time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your mom is alright. We watched Its A Wonderful Life yesterday and tonight White Christmas. I think we all have had a George Bailey moment. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did survive the stroke, but with physical limitations. We were blessed to have her with us for many more years. Most of that time were were able to take care of her in her home.

      Delete
  3. I love the movie "It's a Wonderful Life." Unfortunately, my husband doesn't...apparently even when he's napping, so I started watching it 2 times this year and had to turn it off. And, oh yeah...I've had several "George Bailey" moments...I just haven't gotten to the "beyond brokenness" part yet. :-( ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, you are such a good person. I appreciate you as a friend who happens to be a customer. I enjoy all our little talks.

      Delete