Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Sopa De Lima - Wisconsin Style

Link to previous post on "chicken bone broth":  https://dickybirdsnest.blogspot.com/2018/12/a-chicken-in-every-pot.html


Perfect soup for a cold day.  This is how I made it.  Click on link above to read how I made the chicken bone broth.  I happen to think as I made this soup, many of the ingredients came from my farm or that of a friend....I love that!

I had these red peppers hanging in my pantry.  I make a "hot sauce" by taking the seeds out of them and steeping in hot water till soft.  





Once the pepper is soft, blend it till smooth.  I did add a bit of my stock.    



Take your chicken bone broth out of the refrigerator, skim off the fat.  I put 6 C broth in a pan and had 6 C for the freezer for a later soup.  



Then I added 1 pt jar of my homemade tomato sauce.


I then added 5-6 Tbs. of my "hot sauce" - trust me, it's too hot to add it all - for this Wisconsin native!


I did use the blender again...see the tomato skins...when I can my tomatoes, I do not skin or seed them....just what I do.  


Zest and juice from 1 large lime.  Reserve some zest for garnish.

Next, I added 2 C each of carrots (from my friend's farm) and celery.   I also add 1/2 diced onion.  Three cloves of garlic - which is from Inga's farm (read about here:  https://dickybirdsnest.blogspot.com/2018/09/around-farm-tables-garlic-fest.html)  She is the host of a Wisconsin Public Channel original series, which was just picked up nationally.  





Then I added 2 heaping C of the home raised and processed chicken - all diced up and ready to go in my refrigerator from when I made the chicken bone broth.


It wouldn't be Sopa De Lima without the fried crunchy tortilla noodles.  Take some soft tortilla shells, slice in strips and fry in oil.  Drain off excess and while hot sprinkle with salt.



Then, assemble the soup, garnish with a few lime slices, zest and fried noodles.  Yummy!


I hope you give Sopa De Lima - your style - a try.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

4 comments: