Tuesday, December 4, 2018

A Chicken In Every Pot

That quote:  "A chicken in every pot and a car in every garage"  was from our 31st president, Herbert Hoover.  His term was during the Great Depression.  

I thought of that yesterday as I tried to squeeze one of our home raised and processed chickens into this pot.  Al wrote on the bag "soup chicken."  So, I took his lead and pressure cooked this one down. 


I did have to cook it down a bit before the lid would fit.  I posted this to Instagram and my daughter commented something about "Sopa De Lima!"  I just added them for extra flavor in my broth and truthfully, I usually use the not so pretty veggies I have in my refrigerator (smile).   I also add onions, garlic, spices and cook down the chicken until it is falls off the bone.  

I pick out the big pieces, strain the broth into a pitcher and debone, deskin and dice up all the meat.  Once cooled, I put the broth in the refrigerator until the next day to use for soup.  I do this so I can skim off the fat from the top.  

So, I made creamy chicken sandwiches last night, today we will have my Wisconsin 'sopa de lima' and chicken salad sandwiches for a few lunches.  Cooking this way takes time, but the rewards out weight it.  And....bone broth...come on...from a chicken we raised on our farm...can't beat it!  If the Wisconsin Sopa De Lima turns out...I'll share it.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

3 comments:

  1. Yum, doesn't get any better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you put in your creamy chicken sandwiches?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brings back memories of when I had to pluck feathers when my gramma culled the flock each year. The feathers were used for feather tick pillows and comforters and the meat made into soup stews and other menus. I bet your soup will be great! Janice

    ReplyDelete