Saturday, February 1, 2014

"Can I Give You a Hug"

The first Saturday of each month is Homme Nursing Home ministry.  My brother, Frank, plays his guitar, we sing some old songs and he gives a little talk.  I started going, thinking that I would be helpful to him and the old people living there.   

Today, however, I was overcome with emotion.  There was a little lady sitting in a chair, half sleeping, trying to sing...falling asleep...she reminded me of my mom.  Her nose, the way her glasses fit, her eyes, her sweet spirit...I don't know...but, I looked at her and saw my mom.  

I looked at her and asked "how are you today?"  She replies "well, I don't really know"  I told her that I wasn't really doing too good now, because she reminded me of my mom.  I told her that she passed in November and I really miss her.  So, I asked her "could I give you a hug?"  She smiled at me and nodded her head yes...I reached down and hugged her tiny shoulders.  In a way, I felt like I was hugging my mom.  I told her how much I appreciated the hug.  I hugged another lady as well....hey, I'm supposed to be a help to these "old people," today, they helped me.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  
Post a Comment