Monday, April 16, 2012

Doing Good

 

“Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.” Proverbs 3:27

100_2007

I love the life lessons within the book of Proverbs.  I’m doing a small study of this book.  I do love the common sense and practical advise that Solomon writes about. 

I know I have some old fashioned ideas and believes.  Well, in comparison to modern practices.  I still remember a day when a neighbor would knock on our screen door and ask to borrow a cup of sugar.  My mom was the neighbor whom every other would ask to do something: “Mrs. Ritchie, could you sew a button on my shirt; could you hem my skirt, could you cut our hair, could you spare a few vegetables from your garden, etc.”  My mom ALWAYS did, or at least tried to do, what was asked of her.  

My dad loved to fish.  He built a homemade smoker in our back yard.  It wouldn’t be uncommon for the neighbor men and kids to come around when the wonderful smell of smoked fish was in the air. He loved to share stories and his “catch”. 

Keep in mind that my mom was a homemaker, my dad a tree surgeon, they had six kids – we were not wealthy, but what we had my Mom and Dad did share.  I’ve been blessed by their wonderful examples.

Wouldn’t it be nice to “go back” to some of those “old fashioned” values!  I try to be a good example of this with my girls. 

Leave me a comment on what old fashioned values you miss.

Blessings from Wisconsin. 

 

   




Growing Home

5 comments:

  1. This is how our neighborhood is. There are a handful of neighbors along our 6 mile long road, and we're always bartering veggies for eggs for dog bones for firewood. We call on each other to move refrigerators, pull our cars out of the snowbank, and round up the sheep when they get loose. It's such a good feeling to know that someone is looking out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too come from a family of givers. It's how we were raised and I tried too to instill in my children. When someone is in need you offer, if they ask you help. These are the little things that make a house a home, a group of homes a neighborhood and a neighborhood a community. Too many people have lost this ... not knowing their neighbor and it's sad. I grinned when I read about your Dad and his smokehouse. My husband too does that ... for us and others:) ~ smoking fish and various kinds of sausages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely post, Jackie.. I think I miss the times of gathering at houses and sharing God's goodness and the sweet fellowship we used to have.. No one does that anymore.. At least here in our part of the world..
    Blessings my friend..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya! I miss the simpler times-even if im not so old. But I'm grateful to have these relationships with neighbors. Ive gone more than a few times to a neighbor or two, or threes house for sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla. I have super neighbors. Actually wrote a post about it on the Patch.com.
    www.hellertown.patch.com/d/blog_posts/do-you-know-your-neighbor

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love sharing our bounty with neighbors and friends....it's the right thing to do :-)

    ReplyDelete