Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Potato Soup Like Mom Made

 Let's start with the potato.  Look at these beauties, grown just 3o miles or so from our farm.  Bushmans' Potato, Rosholt, WI

https://www.facebook.com/Bushmans-Inc-152910724750193/


I baked 2 for supper, but 1 was enough for both of us.  I saved it for soup.

I also had some of my potatoes and onions that were sprouting - eeeekk - so I had to use them too.  


So, I cut up the reds and put them on to boil.  Once soft, I added the cooked left over potatoes.  Having the chunks of potatoes and mashed works well for thickening up the soup.  

While that was going, I cut up some bacon, not just any bacon, but world famous Nueske's Applewood Smoked bacon.  You know, all the food network stars use it.  Nueske's is in Wittenberg also about 20? miles from me.

  https://www.facebook.com/nueskesmeats


What could start out better than, potato and bacon - forget it!

Once cooked, reserve a portion for spinkling on top of soup.  To the bacon add a diced onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic, cook till soft.  With a slotted spoon, take bacon, onion, garlic mix out of pan and add to the kettle of potatoes in water.


In the fry pan with the bacon grease, add corn starch to make a rue.  The key to rue is to have about equal amounts fat to starch.  Stir over low heat until a paste forms.

Once a paste, add a liquid.  I used evaporated milk as that is what my mom used.  Stir into the rue gradually, stirring constantly to eliminate lumps.  


Dump the thickened mix into the kettle of potaotes.  Stir and heat through.  I also added some shredded cheese.


A little green onion.



And, there you have it.  So good!

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  





6 comments:

  1. Oh my you are making me hungry. Waiting for Bob to get home to get a take out for my grands. This soup sounds yummy. Especially on a cold day like today! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and is going to be cold for the next few days here. In the -negatives. I was a funny post, one of those joke things...I don't know what they are called....but, a lady was scraping snow from her car and she was saying..."we don't have hurricanes, we don't have alligators" over and over as she was scraping...I thought it was so funny!

      Delete
  2. Oh heavens....that looks and sounds amazing on this blustery, snowy, day. And those be some mighty big taters LOL. Stay safe and warm! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, as you know, it will be in the -negatives here...ugh!

      Delete
  3. That really does look good. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I can't eat the bacon but I shall probably give it a try without - or maybe make it for the guys who will eat the bacon! Those potatoes look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, you could leave it out. My mom put bacon in many of "chowders" potato, corn, creamy ones. The potatoes were great!

      Delete