Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Dirty Dishes

 

As I was working yesterday, washing several sinks full of dishes, I was thinking about the order that I wash them.  I was thinking of my mom, who probably washed more sinks of dishes than anyone I know.  My memories of this childhood chore involved my sister Lori, she is my next oldest sibling.  She washed waaaaaaay more dishes than I did.  In fact, her boyfriend, who is now my brother in law, use to say...."why can't Dicky Bird wash those dishes so you can go?!"  Well, that's the beauty of being the baby!  

"I wash you dry and sweeper takes all!"  Did you say things like this?  We had a large family, so one never knew what treasure the sweeper would find.  What a way to make that seem like a fun job.  LOL.

I do use the dishwasher daily, but I was really using lots of kettles, utensils in which needed hand washing.  So as I was washing, I was wondering if anyone else washes in this order.  So, like any 2022 person, I asked facebook....ahahah

Are you kidding me, I had so many comments on that post.  It seems, washing dishes, struck a cord with so many.   The consenus is that you wash cleanest to dirties.  Glasses, cups, plates, let silverware soak, pans and kettles in that order for the most part.  It was 50/50 on who still washes by hand and who likes to.  A tip is to fill your sink and wash as you work.   My friend Ronnie reminded me of how we learned this stuff in Home Ec class.  I have a funny story about that class, I'll save it for another post!  

My mom had a little plaque in the kitchen and it said this:  


I was thinking that too....

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

8 comments:

  1. great quote because so true it means we are well fed with dirty dishes in the sink. I do use a dishwasher but I clean the things that go directly in the mouth first cups classes and silverware. then plates just how we did it who knows
    I have never heard the quote sweeper takes all.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was how we were taught as well, if it goes in your mouth, clean it first. Probably with hottest water. My family maybe made that one up. We have lots of those weird sayings...

      Delete
  2. I don't have a dishwasher - I am it. I wash from cleanest to dirtiest. Just the way I've always done it and I think the way I was taught (in home economics class). I hate dirty dishes. I wash them after every meal so they don't pile up around here. It's a habit I can't seem to get out of lol. Probably from never (well I had a dishwasher in one base house we lived in) having a dishwasher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes get lazy and leave them, but I am happiest when I wake to a clean kitchen. I was wondering, how you came to be in MI - base housing answers a few things...I'd love to know more.

      Delete
  3. Love the saying. So true. The kitchen was the heart of our home. When I do dished by hand...which is not often now since I finally got a dishwasher last year, I do glasses first, plates, silverware and pots & pans. Never heard of the sweeper quote. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that saying too. We didn't have much growing up, but we did have lots of love and food. Simple, meals made from simple ingredients.

      Delete
  4. You conjure up some of the most poignant memories. We had no dishwasher growing up (and up until WWR 7 (?) years ago, no dishwasher here either) so the task fell to my sister and me as my mother had to go back to the barn for milking and chores. My sister always washed and I dried...but I would always make my sister sing to me...my favorite was when she sang "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean." Anyways - order: Silverware first, glassware, plastics, then pots/pans....greasiest/messiest last. I was shocked to learn later in life that most people do not do silverware first LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love this little story Robin! You need to share more of your childhood stories with me/us. I would love to read them. You make everything sound so magical.

      Delete