Friday, January 7, 2022

Farmhouse Friday 2022 - Week 1

Well here it is 2022 - week 1 

This week, I still let myself get back into working...I mean, I thought about working...I met someone at a storage unit....sold a few things...used the sled to haul some tubs to the house....but, that is about it.  So not much to report on that.

After I cleaned out my pantry, I found so many interesting things to cook with...teehee.  One was a bag of wheat berries.  I think I thought I was going to grind and make my own flour...ya, that didn't happen.  I don't even have a grain mill....I did sell one though...ugh!  

Have you ever cooked with wheat berries?  I looked for ideas on pinterest and made a few things.  First, you need to plan your time when using wheat berries as they need to soak and cook.


 As long as I was doing all that, I decided to cook up a bunch...what was I thinking....one can only eat so many wheat berries.  So it was wheat berries all week.  

Greek, wheat berry, feta salad

Wheat berry granola


I even added them to beef stew, it's like barley.



In the above picture, the top was before I cooked it all afternoon in a 250 degree oven - stop it!  Fall apart tender!  

I also found some dry garbanzo beans, why? I have no idea - ahaha!  So I soaked and boiled some of those too.  Actually, I liked them!  I added them to the air fryer, EVO and garlic salt - if you've never done this, you should try it.  You can use a can of beans too and not have to cook your own.  They reminded me of corn nuts.  I've added to my salads and snacked on them. 


I did work on putting Christmas away.  Ginger, helped....when will they outgrow the chewing?!  Look at my walls in the one picture....


That was a cute little pillow my friend Diane H. made.

Everyone around me has either been sick or is sick.  I was talking myself out of a scratchy throat and decided to drink some spicy broth.  I will do this every day, maybe for a few weeks.

Wisconsin, like many of the rest of you, has had some "weather" it's been cold and getting colder.  So, I added some fresh bedding to the chicken coop.  I do this often in the winter as everything in the coop is frozen - including the poops.  So, I just add more bedding until a nice January thaw day or spring (wink, wink,).




Well that was pretty much my week here at my farmhouse.  What have you been doing at yours?  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

8 comments:

  1. I have never used wheat berries but it sounds like you made good use of them.
    Oh your dog! reminds me why I don't want a puppy again. We have had it all warm, rain, ice and now it is snowing. I am about to make my way to work to do not much for the day.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought it would be fun to get 2 puppies, his and hers ... they are over a year now, but still naughty. If they weren't such lovers and cute...hahaha.

      Delete
  2. I am still tucked in at the lake bu will need to think about going back soon. So, I've had some lazy days....some hooking, some stitching, some reading....refining my fire-building skills LOL. Ahhh...garbanzo beans!!! I remember them well. When I first went to Spain, I lived with 2 elderly Spanish sisters...an it seemed we had garbanzo beans every day. I thought I'd never want to see another when I left but would love a nice bowl of garbanzo bean soup!! Your chickens look so pampered and happy...love that collage. Sigh on the puppies. My one doorway looks horrible as well as one kitty thinks it is a scratching post.... Stay warm. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fire building skills, I need to work on those. Your days by the lake sound lovely! I didn't know you lived in Spain. Garbanzo soup sound delicious. Our cats "did in" our porch post. Now it is just reminder for me of those friends that have passed on.

      Delete
  3. Well I have never heard of wheat berries, but glad you found good use for them. The ladies seem to be cozy with the extra bedding you provided them. My pup chewed an antique pillow of mine about a month ago. GRRR. Then he kept grabbing my Santa one on the chair. Finally just put that one up. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never bought them before. They are cozy, but it's going to get super cold. I plan to boil them up some rice or some kind of a treat...maybe it will be wheat berries...ahahahah! I found pieces to Christmas decorations in a box. I have those Gurley candles, pieces were in some puke...grrrr....

      Delete
  4. Wheat Berries sound interesting. I need to sort out my cupboards. I'm really trying to watch what I spend and I know that part of that is using what I have. I am going to add it to next week's list. Let's see if it will get done lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I did my pantry, now I just open the door and look in there, it makes me happy. "I Will" have my fingers crossed for you that you can sort through yours.

      Delete