Monday, January 10, 2022

I Will Monday - Goals

 I've been thinking about goals.  Webster defines a goal as the object of a person's ambition or effort; or aim or desired result. I have set many a goal in my time.  Often when we do not meet our goal, we feel defeated and maybe even give up on it.  

When you set a goal, sometimes, you've told people, posted about it on social media, in hopes of self accountability.  Then the questions from friends, "hey, how's the....coming along?" that moment right here....this one....that feeling....is where my post about GOALS is, because I hate that feeling!  

So, on this cold January morning, for my "I WILL Monday,"  I will reboot the idea, start over, get back to the basics, adjust the goal to physical ability, keep quiet about it, be nice to me along the way.  

I'm so glad my daughter, Justine, asked us to do the Enneagram personality test.  I have posted about it before.  I am a 7.  As I look more into it, I am able to understand why I do some of the stuff I do and how to work with it.  In fact, we were at the store the other day and I turned to her and said "I'm going to be a 7 so fair warning..." ahahah!  



I asked my friends to tell me what is 1 goal you are working on in 2022.  Overwhelmingly, it was what I would lump into "self:"  be a better human, giving grace to self as I do others, letting go of past hurt, anger, grudges, finding balance in work and home, finding my new normal, time management.  The next would be "education:"  read more, take a class, learn something new each month, hobbies.  The last one I would say would be "projects:"  finish trim, pain the kitchen, work on our fences.  

What this little poll tells me is, when it comes to goals, working on "self" is very important.  Even the "education" is working on that as well.  My hope in writing this post, is to remind us, that as we work on our goals, we need to think about GOALS in a new way. 

Then, I happen to think of what a GOAL could look like:   

G gift                       G giving               G growing

O of                         O ourselves         O our

A allowing             A ability (for)      A acceptance (to)

L love (to)              L long term         L Life's

S self                       S success              S stages

I thought those were good, if I do say so myself.  Our goal shouldn't be to "beat ourselves" up for not meeting it.  Nor giving up on the idea of your original goal.  Our goal should be to love ourselves as we work on ourselves.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

  


4 comments:

  1. What a great post! I usually dont set goals for myself, because I tend to not follow upon them or quit. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do too...but, I will try to do better.

      Delete
  2. You are on of the most introspective people I know...and that's like a breath of fresh air. I really like that last section with "GOALS" going vertically as acronyms. I can very well relate to each of those. I guess I am not one of those "growing old gracefully"...it seems like I am kicking and screaming all the way. A lifelong rebel I guess. I really need to get to that place of "accepting life's stages." Sigh. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've been thinking....I am unable to kick anymore, but I'm screaming too....crying....actually. One day you're king of the mountain, the next you're tumbling after....

      Delete