Monday, January 17, 2022

I Will Monday - Psych Tricks

 So, I'm at this point....tricking myself.  Thing is, I have always had to do this, I just didn't know it was called psych tricks.  I was thinking, when did this even start?  


I remember this day clearly, as both my mom and a family friend, Rocky, had to trick me into taking my picture.  I did not want to wear that red shirt.  Rocky, just bought a new camera that took color photos, ya it was a big deal, he made all of the colorful vignettes and took our pictues.  

I wrote the blog post about washing dishes last week and the saying "sweeper takes all" - a little "trick" my family had to get someone to sweep.  So, I asked social media, "what is a psych trick you use?"  Most of the answers were about kids or when they were kids.  Here are some of them.

"My mom would say, 'I think I lost a dollar!' to get us to pick up"

"My grandson was 3 and didn't want to finish drinking his milk so I told him it was muscle juice and it would make him big and strong.  From then on, he would drink his muscle juice and then flex his muscles afterward."

"My mom would say, when my niece didn't want to go down for a nap, 'just lay down, I'll count to 100 then you can get up' she fell asleep long before 100."

"When my niece was little, I tried not to swear in front of her, instead I would say 'how rude!' she started saying this when someone did something not nice."

"When my grands didn't want to leave, I would say 'do you want to come back sometime?' they would say 'yes' then I would say 'then you have to go home now so you can come back again."

Tricks work with children, I know, I've worked with lots and on a wide range of the spectrum.  I remember this one time, I was a teacher's aide in the CD/LD room at my daughters' grade school.  Upon entering the room I saw the teacher chasing a student, who was blowing his recorder loudly, around the room.  I said "woohoo that was great!  You sure can play that recorder!  I tell you what, how bout you play as loud as you can and the whole class will cheer for you, but when a minute is done, you will give me the recorder okay?....ready, set, blow."  The whole class with my lead clapped and cheered. "O.k, the minute is done," and I held out my hand.  He gave me the recorder and I turned it over to the teacher....she looked mad....and I said "when you're a mama, you will figure these little tricks out too." 

Tricks/pshych tricks - I say potato/patato, tricking to motivate is as old as mothers!  

Do you have any that you grew up with?  You maybe used on your children?

"Oh, raking leaves is so much fun, we can make a huge pile to jump in."  "I bet, you will find money, if you help me clean up after the flea market, people always lose money."  

The flea market one worked, because they actually did find money on more than one occassion.  So the trick became a reward.  It was because they found a $20 one time that made that #psychtrick work.  

So on this "I Will Monday" I will use my very own #psychtricks on me.  Some will be new and others I've used before.  It is the later that I know from experience holds a reward if I just stick with it.  "Oh Dicky Bird, I bet if you clean out that storage room of yours, you'll find a treasure."  And, I usually do...or at least something I forgot I bought.  You don't have to be a child, just childlike for these to work....ahahah.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.    


10 comments:

  1. I never even thought it things like that. I should try that on myself. Maybe it might work. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first heard the term #psychtrick from Noom. That diet app as I was reading I though "hey, I do this already." Obviously, it hasn't tricked me out of procrastinating...ahahha...but, for the most part they can work.

      Delete
  2. What an adorable photo of you and your mom! Wow....you look just like her!!! I had few psych tricks I used with my son back in the day....one was the Tummy Monster. He was never much of an eater and so when he tummy growled, I told him it was the tummy monster and he needed to be fed.... Kind of a negative psych trick, but it usually worked LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I probably look the most like her out of my siblings. That was a good one.

      Delete
  3. I have never tricked my kids to do something, but sure wish I knew about these things when they were little. Especially liked the recorder story. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I come from a long like of tricksters...ahahah....

      Delete
  4. Great memory You are wonderful friend too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the only one I remember using was if you eat a half an apple you can have that cookie etc with my daughter. But all good ideas
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good one, I may have to try that on my grand she loves cookies.

      Delete