Thursday, January 6, 2022

January is National Oatmeal Month

I'm challenging myself to eat a bowl of oatmeal every morning this month.  I do like the rolled, whole oats, you might as well eat something that burns more calories while digesting (I fact checked this on google...ahahaha).   

I love to create different varieties, not just plain oats.  You know like those little bags from Quaker - only more natural and/or organic.   Some of my favorite ways to eat oatmeal is by adding dry fruit.  We like to go to natural bulk food stores, where we will stock up on a variety of dried things, including fruit.  However, I have dehydrated my own here: Apples   Rhubarb 

Today, I made myself:  rhubarb, almond, honey oats.


I usually measure out 1/2 C rolled oats, dried fruit, nuts and 1 teaspoon honey and pour boiling water over, just until covered.  I also sprinkle in a bit of salt.  Now before you say, "salt on oatmeal" or "you 'Ritchie's' salt everything" - I do like salt, but salt brings out sweet - it's true - well, that's my story anyway.  Then I microwave for 30-45 seconds.  Super easy!


Do you like oatmeal?  What are your favorite flavor combinations?  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.

 

4 comments:

  1. LOL.... I always add a pinch of salt to any hot cereals I make. I should eat more of them, but don't for some reason. My favorites are cream of wheat and cream of rice (just like soups, I love the rich creamy stuff LOL). My oatmeal I like plain with milk....and a touch of sugar of course. But yours does look/sound good (hold the rhubarb though). ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I want cream of wheat. We "had" to eat it as kids, but now I've grown to like it. The rhubarb, I dried - I was still picking strings out of the back of my teeth while flossing at bed time.

      Delete
  2. I like plain old Quaker oats with milk and brown sugar. I do like salt on watermelon. I do love rhubarb unlike Robin, but did not know it came in a dried form. I am lucky to find dried cherries in my small grocery store let alone rhubarb. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dried the rhubarb this past year, first time I've done that. My plants were huge this year. When I freeze it, I tend to not use it. I'm eating maple brown sugar right now.

      Delete