Saturday, September 7, 2024

First Week of School

Our daughter and son-in-law have decided to give homeschooling a try this year.  Lauren is in 2nd grade.  I am happy they are doing this, not only because I can be involved (teehee), but her private school is such a long distance from their house.  All the driving back and forth, not to mention snowy roads....eek...(wink, wink).

Anyway, I know it wasn't an easy decision.  Weighing pros and cons, doing what is best for your child, often times never is.   As of now, this year, they are at home.  

Justine has always been a dedicated student, responsible, followed directions, considerate, creative - all the things needed to "school" your own child.  She found a fun curriculum and a nature (outdoorsey in the woods) based home school group to join.  She still has her practice and patients, but on Wednesdays for a few hours, I get to be "art/home economics/creative play (wink, wink)" teacher.  

This week, their country of study was China.  So, what I did for my few hours was:  Found a dragon puppet we made, looked up meanings of Chinese names to name our dragons, made homemade noodles, vegetable Lo Mien, fortune cookies and looked up scriptures where dragon was mentioned in the Bible.  I won't lie, I was ready for a nap by the time I got back home, but I had a FUN day!  


I had Josh take a picture of us, bouncing the strips of noodles on the counter to stretch them out.  Believe it or not, it works!  I won't share that photo tho, it's just for me.  



You would not believe the adorable fortunes she was coming up with.  We couldn't figure out how to fold them correctly.  They were too hot to handle long anyway.  So, we did them this way.  

Justine messaged me last night and said "Australia" is next week's country of study.  O.k., I'm on it!  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


3 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm not sure what impresses me most - 2 posts in one week or your lesson plan on China! Heck, I wanna sign up for your classes! The food looks amazing! I've made my own pasta/noodles, but I've never bounced them?? I've not ever even heard that suggested. Might have to look into that. (Dang...now you have me wanting to make pasta and I make such a huge mess in my kitchen when I do....gonna have to wait for a few weeks b/c I have a nightmare couple of weeks staring me down. (Son's wedding is in 2 weeks...). Anyways - I hope you share more of your Wednesdays with us! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this SO much! What fabulous ideas you had and executed. Australia has great songs that I learned in elementary school...Kookaburra Sits In The Old Gum Tree and Waltzing Matilda. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! Enjoy your time with your littles making lasting memories. RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete