Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Dicky Bird's Harvest Time Quick Bread

 


My sister, Bonnie, shared some heritage squash seeds with me this year.  Neither of us can remember the name.  Anyway, they are the BEST squash I've ever eaten!  They are naturally sweet, shaped like a Hubbard and some a little elongated.  Al took the time to save the seeds for us for next year too.  

I made some for our family Thanksgiving and everyone raved about them.  I had a bit left over so I made up this bread.  I looked at a pumpkin bread recipe, but tweaked it to fit my flavor profile.  


I did the wet ingredients first:

2 C squash puree

1/2 C maple syrup

1 C oil

3 eggs, beat well

Add:  

1 T pumpkin pie spice

1 T cinnamon

1 t salt

2 t baking soda

1 C brown sugar, blend well

Add:

3 C flour 

1 1/2 C chocolate chips

I made a "paste" of: 1/4 c melted butter, 2 T brown sugar, 2 T flour, 1 t pumpkin pie spice, 1 t cinnamon.  I placed on top of bread in little teaspoon globs.  Sprinkle top of bread with additional chocolate chips.



Bake 350 for an 75-90 minutes.  This makes 2.  



I did cook down this squash and put it away in the freezer.  You can bet, I'll be making this again.  Super moist and full of flavor.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

4 comments:

  1. I love those kind of quick breads with a cup of tea yummm
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy and wish I had smellovision on my computer. I am sure they went fast! Janice

    ReplyDelete