Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Motivational Monday/Tuesday - I'm not Pefect

 I wanted to share this post last week, but I forgot on Monday.  So, I waited until this week...oops...but, it is so much more fitting today.  I had something happen last week that makes this post even more meaningful to me. 

Every Sunday, at our church, someone will have a Bible reading and little message.  The inspiration for this post came from one my nephew, Josh, did.  The quote that stuck with me was "connection over perfection."  My mind went right to my business.  

As a self-employed woman, entrepreneur if you will, I have literally stuggled to be seen on any social media platform.  Sad thing is, I try REALLY, really hard too!  I will admit, I am a bit OCD with counting and numbers, so this probably bothers me more than some of you.  I've even had people try to shame me into thinking I was too obsessed with the numbers.  That may be true.  Also, I have been doing so many things over the past 30 some years, and no one knows about it.  I try to and have made great strides in not letting it bother me as much, but .... I'm human.  

For the past few years, I've had some fun on my business facebook page by hosting 12 Days of Christmas.  I find 12 little things that I feel my followers would like and offer them as a giveaway.  That word...giveaway...I can NOT say it anymore on social media.  I'm even afraid that I mentioned it on here.  Sharing that word on Instagram as an instastory with mention of my business name, got my page hacked!  It was awful!  All I kept thinking was, "why me, I don't even have that many LIKES on my page, pick someone bigger."  I struggle with navigating my way through all of the ins and outs of posting as it is, then to get hacked!  Facebook was NO help in resolving this issue either!  Google did delte the 2 tinyurl links that were part of the hacking.  I'm thankful for the support of my customers, by telling and helping me.  "Connection over Perfection!"  This experience motivated me to be more aware of cyber security and truly appreciate all those who do follow and LIKE my page!  I actually know most of them!  

So, how is this motivating to you?  Well, first, no one is perfect!  So, if you're waiting for that, stop.  Second, it is more important to connect with people over having the "perfect (fill in the blank)."  Especially now, during the holidays.  Sure, I've seen some impressive posts - impressive decor - impressive baked goods - impressive outdoor experiences....but, is all that real?  Even Wonder Woman would have a hard time doing "it all!"

My motivation to you would be, stop!  Rather think about how you will connect with others.  I'm a fine one to talk, because I like all my burners going...3-4 kettles boiling at once.  So, I'm trying to motivate myself as well.  I know that blogging is fun, I don't do it for a living, so I don't "need" to do all that and keep up with new content on all my social media sites.  So, I want to work smarter not harder and focus on connecting with my followers.  "Connection over perfection" is what grows a business and that's the truth, I know that!



Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


5 comments:

  1. Being a banker in my real job...I really do the numbers thing. I also do the numbers for each of our 2 businesses. I even have to tell Bob to stop buying, or we would have no money. LOL I do love this new quote. Will be stealing it from you. Great post! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. I'm sorry you got hacked. How horrible. It saddens me that there are people around who find some kind of joy or pleasure out of doing that.

    I struggle with social media. I like Instagram, looking at photos and such. I worry sometimes about being repetitive or struggling to build followers. Sometimes it seems that people do a like for a like or follow for a follow. That's not me. If I see a photo I like then I will press the heart, if I see someone who posts things that interest me I will follow them. It's not a business for me, but I'm still thinking about maybe trying some sort of photography business and then I will need to use social media - won't I?

    Ack sorry this is so long-winded. I really enjoy seeing your posts. I read the instagram stories too though I don't always comment on them lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you got hacked but it can happen to anyone I wish they would use their skills for good maybe something would get done in this world
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always curious when I see a post pop up from you as I know there will most usually be a lesson that I can learn...or remind myself to practice. I am not sure how you figured out that "that" word led to the hacking?? I have been hacked so many times I couldn't count them all. Email, FB, credit cards, paypal, you name it. I'm still sorting out the ramifications of the last episode.Gah!! I am not a tech savant, but I understand and use security precautions, but it still happens. But, for totally different reasons, I have cut back significantly on the whole social media thing. I maintain my FB page as I use it for Messenger and the local township news (the only place it is to be found) or if someone wants me to look at something LOL. I have started using IG a bit more, but on an extremely limited basis...primarily for my stitching associations and "established" personal/blog connections. And, of course, Blogger...but it seems every day there is more and more spam comments being made there. So frustrating. But...wow...I digress LOL. Connection is a thing I struggle with. Unlike you, I am not a "people" person. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  5. You worry to much my friend..It should all be fun..I'm also a number person but I'm not sure there even real...Enjoy you do a wonderful job...

    ReplyDelete