Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Tips on Tuesday - Onion Braids


My 2019 garden has produced some beautiful onions.  I haven't braided onions for years.  I have such wonderful memories of onions drying in the sun and watching my dad braid them into these beautiful ropes.  He always had a huge garden and my mom would do canners full of all of it.  I was so blessed to be a part of all that and learn these things.  Granted, when I had to break beans and my friends were at the pool, I didn't think so.      

Onion braids are so easy to do and it's the best way to keep them longer.  First, you have to plant some...tehee.   Let the onions dry in the sun, right on top of the dirt.  Or, if the weather is looking wet, pull them and let them dry inside.  However, don't let them lay in a pile, put them up on a screen so that the air can circulate around them.





Pick 3 of the biggest ones to start your braid.  I tied on a piece of jute to each in a triple knot.  Then you just braid, one side over the middle, make sure each group has the jute.  Then when you cross over, add another onion to that group.  If it gets too crowded, just keep braiding the onion tops until there is room to add more onions.  





Once braided, hang them up to continue drying.  I can't wait to see these hanging downstairs next to my other provisions from our farm's bounty.  I love it....complete from seed to jar...in this case...braid.  



Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

3 comments:

  1. These are beautiful and there is nothing like fresh produce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shucked peas and snapped beans in my day, but NEVER braided onions. We kept ours in the root cellar along with the potatoes. You have quite the bunches. Great harvest! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. These are wonderful. I have never even tried to grow onions before. Definitely something that I want to remember for next year.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete