Monday, February 12, 2018

Motivational Monday - A Merry Heart

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine, but a broken spirit drieth my bones."  Proverbs 17:22

I did quote that at the antique show this past weekend.  A family I've known for over 25 years that are vendors, not only here, but at my event, Ringle Harvest Day, and I were visiting and laughing about a something.  Another vendor, from Minnesota, whom I didn't know, came up and said "you people are too happy this early in the morning."  I quickly said the above verse.  He smiled and agreed.  

It's true, a merry heart is like a good medicine.  Studies at the University of Maryland have linked laughter to the healthy function of blood vessels, something that can lower your chance of heart attack.  Laughter also boosts heart rate and the production of certain antibodies, which strengthens our immune system.  So, there you have it!

If you think about it, you have a choice.  You can be happy and joyful and do good for your body or you can be crabby and bitter and it not do good for you.  Sure, you are saying, easy for you to say, you never had this happen....(fill in the blank)...  Well, your situations are different than mine, but I have faced many trials and unpleasant things.  When I've not been able to choose merry and fell into the trap of the other - it has not done me any good!  

You know, even in the most disappointing of ventures, I know I need to find some joy in it.  Something to make this unbearable situation tolerable.  We've all been there.  Dig deep my friend, pull out some joy, it's in there.   

Lisa and I always have fun at our shows.  We've known each other since junior high, our husband's worked at the same place, we were pregnant all at the same times, quit our jobs, started this adventure of selling junk together and had some crazy ideals over the years.  We can find a way to make a long day of selling fun.   Lisa had these "coke bottle" glasses for sale.  I couldn't believe how big they made my eyes look.  Lisa took my picture - although, I don't like how it magnifies my wrinkles - I can find joy that God has blessed me with laugh lines (see that was easy).  Anyway, we sent this to another vendor across the field house..."I see you!"  


This lead to an exchange of very funny texts.  We were having fun.  So, the next time you are feeling blue or stuck, not getting over something, find something to be merry about.  It might be that you need to laugh at yourself.  Most of my merriness comes from just that.  I love to make others laugh, even at my own expense.  However, I don't see that as a weakness, I see that as a strength.  I not only make my heart merry, but theirs.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  



   

No comments:

Post a Comment