Monday, August 21, 2017

What's What? I Don't Know Anymore?

A crazy title, I know.  I could write many a post about "what's what" however, this one is on my recent buying trip to Minnesota.  I was hoping, to gain a bit of perspective on the up and coming new thing....fail!  We spent 3 days shopping from here to there and I still have no idea what people want to buy.  

In addition to the thrift and antique shops we visited we went to 2 flea markets in 2 different cities - a total of over 2,500 booths of 96% vintage/antiques/junk.  It was truly amazing to see all the different booths.  Other than gaining a few new ideas for how to set up the Ringle Harvest Day:  http://ringleharvestday.blogspot.com/ I didn't see one thing I thought was going to be the next big thing.  

As much of a writer's block that I mentioned I had in my previous post...I've had that same "I don't know anymore" block for my resell business.  I have the inventory...we all know that...but, I don't know what to dig out anymore that people would want to buy.  Oh, I've sold over the summer - yes, I've done that, just not my "best work" - so to speak.  I've sold to many dealers and pickers over the past few months and that's fine, I'm thankful for their business.  

One thing I overheard 2 dealers talking about, is the very thing I was suspicious of myself.  Here is the quote..."I never thought I would see this day...." my ears perked up..."I guess it's here"....(what? what is he talking about?)....he then says; "people just aren't buying - we have the stuff - now what?"  BINGO - I thought to myself.  He nailed it!  

As I walked around these 2 flea markets, I mentioned to my friend that I thought the average age of shopper was around 50...or older....where are the millennials?  (IKEA or Target I guess....).  If we, as dealers, can NOT inspire the next generation to buy antiques....we are in trouble.  

The one saving grace...Pyrex!  Yes, to the bright colorful dishes that grandma used - Pyrex just might save us, just like Martha Stewart did to Jadite.  The Pyrex booths were packed!  
I saw very little painted furniture....yikes...
I saw very little galvanized being carried around....yikes...
I saw lots of farm stuff....still there at end of day....yikes...
I saw many pieces of cheap furniture, quality, real wood, dove tail drawers kinda furniture....no one buying....(IKEA really?!?)...

I don't want to sound pessimistic as that is contradictory to my core.  I have reinvented or rather, evolved my business before and I will do it again.  I know some of you who read this are dealers as well and maybe you don't see this coming, but I can assure you it is.  Just like the solar eclipse we will see today, changes in the business, happen every few years.  

So, I will keep plugging away, picking from my stash what my "gut" feelings are telling me to pick and go with that for the rest of the year.  It will be interesting to see what the new season of Fixer Upper will start as a trend...I am betting on 1970's macrame', brown furniture, glass and brass and pottery....just my "gut" but, If I'm right...I "called it."  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

  




4 comments:

  1. You could be right..I have no idea..Time will tell..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love your post! It surely keeps it interesting doesn't it! Back in the "day" when an actual antique was of value, it was easier to buy having a little clue what the market wanted. These days... I wouldn't know where to begin either! I am "mostly" retired from the business! I think the economy and uncertainty in our country has effected the vintage and antiques market a great deal. The millennials haven't figured out yet if they want to preserve or ditch the past. It's surprising to me they would pick something so mass produced to collect now. Do you often wonder if the "hunt" for antiques is merely entertainment for most now as they like to still see the old stuff sitting around at fleas and such... but aren't in the mood to haul it home! Keep buying quality furniture and hand- made small treasures though. My guess is there will always be a market for it!!
    Hugs!!!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope things pick up for you in all areas of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brown is the color for 2018 and brass décor items have been in all the publications for the past few months..I did a search on Pinterest for 2018 Trends in décor and there was a lot of vintage brass stuff and brown was the color of the year..I didn't like any of the trends so will set my own...hikchik

    ReplyDelete