Wednesday, August 30, 2017

"How Is the Clean Out Going?"

I mentioned earlier that I hired a Summer Intern, Shannon.  We have spent many days this Summer shuffling, boxing, stacking, moving, hauling, loading....needles to say.....she has been a big help to me! 

I've had some interesting business prospects over the past 3 months and Shannon said something that had me laughing.  As we loaded and I tried to shut the door on an...ahem...I hate to say...storage unit...(ya, ya, I know it!!...it will only be until Ringle Harvest Day....it was a buy out I couldn't pass on)...anyway...Shannon said..."what happened to the clean out...?!?"  I said, "ya, you're not doing a good job...LOL..."  She said...."this isn't on me....I'm only doing what you tell me to do!  This is all you!"   

If you are on the outside looking into my line of work, you must keep in mind, just like it takes money to make money - it takes junk to sell junk.  My friend's husband asked me yesterday..."how's the clean out going?"  I said..."1 step forward, 2 steps back!"  So, If I can get rid of some actual garbage and replace that space with actually good junk, I'm ahead of the game!  Let's not fool ourselves, my building should never be empty, if it was, I wouldn't have any inventory to sell.  

Yesterday was one of those days, that if I would have been alone here, I would have QUIT and went in the house and took a nap!  My goal was to have Shannon and I each take 2 garbage bags to my pole building and fill them.  I opened the big sliding doors and we started there....we couldn't turn around...but, we started there.  In fact, we actually filled about 8 or 9 garbage bags and had over 2 dozen old weathered boxes for the burn pile.  Yes, I did toss many things I maybe could have sold at a flea or even crafted with, but it wasn't the "best" stuff I had.  We did fill many boxes for a future barn sale here too - it wasn't all garbage.  The dirty, holy rags or broken, chipped glass - they went bye, bye.  Oh, if you ask Shannon she might say I did a wee bit of whining - I wanted to quit and do something "fun."  She said, "boy, you sure get distracted easily..." (really??? ya think!)  I've been laughing about this since she left.  

But, honestly, for real...I'm pleased with the progress we have made....she might turn into the "Fall Intern" as well!  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


3 comments: