Monday, January 24, 2022

I Will Monday - It's the Little Battles

 I'm sure you've heard sayings that mention "lose the battle, win the war;  pick your battles" those types of examples.  Well, I said one to my friend Lisa this past week that really stuck with me.  It was, "it's the little battles that wins the war?"  As soon as it left my mouth, I knew I would blog about it in this way.

I've always been at war with my weight.  I have recently followed the Noom program.  It seemed to click with me, as I lost over 25 pounds in 2020.  Noom's philosophy is not to keep you on their program for life.  It's not Noom's fault that I gained a bit back when I graduated from their program.  Like I said, I have had a lifelong addiction to and problem with my weight.  So, I'm back to keeping track of my daily progress.  

Last week, I was struggling with my cravings.  Al bought some frozen cookie dough from a coworker's child and we made a pan of cookies late in the afternoon.  I did track all of the ones I ate (sad face).  I still wanted supper, but I only had 189 calories left for the day.  I almost gave up, gave in to a big ol' plate of regret, but, I stopped.  I thought about "2022 do it for you" and that stupid TikTok "no one is coming, no one is going to..." (motivational speaker, Mel Robbins) and I changed my thoughts.  O.k, what CAN I have within 189 calories, I made a plan, and the most delicious egg white omelet.  Yay for me!

I had to stop and pick up a gas gift card, I was between appointments and wanted to get a cappuccino and donut, which is how I gained back part of what I lost.  I walked around the cases, I admired them, thought about how they would taste, then I thought about how they were made, what was in them, how I would feel if I did eat one....I left with a fat free vanilla cappuccino.  Yay for me!

There were a few other little examples from the week, that gave me the mental fuel to, the feel goods for, saying no to giving in.  How I felt for not giving in gave me the possitive affirmations for saying NO to to the next thing.  Yay me!  

So, I was thinking about winning those little battles.  You do win the war with all those little battles, as they build upon one another and give you the momentum for success.

Even after having a "cheat" visit with Anna, I still made healthy, moderate choices.  I don't feel guilty for the big bowl of pasta, I enjoyed it!  Today, I'm even more motivated to track my progress this week.  

So, the next time you have something really difficult to do, think about the little battles.  Start small, with something you can succeed in and build momentum from that feeling to propel your progress.   The more little battles you can conquer, the better chance you have to win your war.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


8 comments:

  1. Nice post! I like how you think and will give it a try. Sometimes it seems that looking at the big picture makes things more difficult and if you feel as though you fail one little piece of it, you fail the whole thing. At least that's how I always feel. I shall look at things as little battles.

    I struggle with food. It's a comfort to me. I do need to eat more healthily, but I'm not worried so much about weight loss anymore. I have weighed the same for a while now (yes, I am overweight lol) but in the past it's been up and down, up and down and I'm sure that's not good for me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that way too about the big battles. Food is my comfort too, mashed potatoes, warm bread with butter, creamy noodles...hahah.

      Delete
  2. I know we were all bundled up when I saw you last, but I thought you looked great? I don't have much willpower when it comes to my food habits. If I crave something, no matter how much of something else I eat, I won't be satisfied. And I like all the "wrong" things...breads, pastas, baked goods, things with cream sauces, etc. Therefore, I surrender even before war is declared LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks! I was just telling Sharon above...I like the carbs too!

      Delete
  3. My doctor always told me if you have a craving its best to eat it then because you end up eating way more that you should later on. I have to lose weight myself, so I need to cut back on my Tim Horton trips. sigh. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was wise on your doctor's part. That is what Noom says too. I noticed when I do "cheat" I don't really gain that much back anyway and I can then cross off that craving.

      Delete
  4. Your post is spot on for me! I've struggled with weight once I hit my 40's...gone were the days of eating whatever and never seeing the consequences. I love that you fit your meal into those 189 calories! I've been trying to ask myself, am I really hungry or does it just sound good? Making little changes...lots of water with Crystal Light Wild Strawberry and trying to avoid carbs...burgers with no buns, just eating the toppings on pizza! It's hard when cooking for a family, but I'm trying to do better...thanks for the reminder! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love that I did that too - Win! I eat lots of things without the bun or just use the bottom part. I don't miss it either. I love to cook too, so it's hard when I want to make something and I probably shouldn't.

      Delete