Monday, November 18, 2019

C.J. McAleavy Award

C.J. McAleavy
Marathon County 4-H Club Agent
In Memoriam
In 1927, C.J. McAleavy was hired in Marathon County as one of three who became Wisconsin’s first full-time permanent County Club Agents. He grew the Marathon County 4-H program from the seeds of youth development programming planted by Wakelin “Ranger Mac” McNeel, who started youth nature activities around 1921.
Numerous 4-H clubs were formed throughout Marathon County’s rural areas as McAleavy established an enthusiasm for service to youth in partnership with teachers, school administrators, and school officials. His enthusiasm continued when he became the County Agent in 1952. He promoted the accomplishments of young people through the Wisconsin Valley Fair.

His legacy lives on through the C.J. McAleavy award, which is annually presented to a leader who best exemplifies the ideals and traditions of dedication to the Marathon County 4-H program.
(C.J. McAleavy Award – Recognizes dedication to the Marathon County 4-H program on a club and county-wide level. The C.J. McAleavy Award is given to a 4-H leader who has contributed a great deal to the local and county program over a considerable period of time. They are selected through people who are nominated from people from the clubs.)

On November 10, 2019, I was humbled to be added to the list of wonderful 4H leaders whom also have won this award.  This is the highest award given to Marathon County 4H Leaders.  It is kept a secret until the previous year's winner reads the letter of nomination.  As this year's was read, it didn't hit me that it was me....until I heard "Collections in Dept. 18."  Truthfully, I was one of the emcees this year as I was sworn in as the 2019-2020 President of the Leader's Federation.  I was thinking of the next item on the program, which was to be me giving direction for the next year.  I was flabbergasted...I don't even know what I said...my mind wasn't even on winning an award.  Anyway, the person who nominated me, was last year's winner.  Thank you Sue for thinking of me!

I know when we began our 4H journey and attended this banquet, I always admired those who won this award.  They were the pillars of the program - the ones I aspired to emulate in 4H.  I can only hope, that what I've worked on during my 4H experience, will do the same for some younger leader.  4H is making the Best Better - it did for me - by the examples of so many others.  

Thank you for "noticing!"....  



Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It's nice to have your work recognised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome Jacky. A big CONGRATULATIONS on your award. Way to go girl! Janice

    ReplyDelete