Sunday, January 7, 2024

First Sunday - Church Birthday Cake - January

 I saw this old recipe called "depression cake" - it wasn't depressing (ahaha) at all!   It was a recipe from the depression era.  It has no eggs, butter or milk.  I wasn't even sure if it would turn out.  Our church celebrates everyone's birthday each month on the first Sunday.  Like all January birthdays, etc....


This recipe makes 1 single layer of the cake.  I made 2 so I could layer it.  I made a simple powdered sugar glaze and added raspberries.  I dusted with powdered sugar.  It looked so festive for January - like snow.  

Vanilla Depression Cake

1 3/4 C flour

2 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla

1 C white granulated sugar

mix in a bowl with a wooden spoon.

Add 

1/4 C vegetable oil

1 C water

mix well, by hand in 1 bowl so easy.

Bake 350 until tooth pick comes out clean (30 min or so).



Snowy white cake...very moist too.  It does taste homemade (wink,wink).


I hope you give this one a try.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Will need to make this. Looks very yummy! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks absolutely delicious. I'm sure everyone enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds interesting...and tasty! TFS! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete