Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Oh Zinnia, I Never Knew

 


I became interested in Zinnias after I was given some seeds by my friend Kou's mom.  Kou and his wife are vendors at Ringle Harvest Day, they have a food truck.  Whenever I have an abundance of roosters, I call Kou and he comes to pick them up.  

His parents are part of a community garden around the corner from our farm.  Well, his mom was so pleased with the roosters I gave them, that she had Kou bring her to my house.  She didn't speak english, but she didn't have to speak for me to understand what she was doing.  She gave me some seeds and plants.  We walked around my garden and Kou told me what she was saying and I was so humbled by her act of kindness.  

Now, that year, I planted them in a poor wet spot and they didn't grow well.   The next year, I bought my own seeds and planted them in a row with sunflowers and they were overcrowded.  This year, however, planted them in a raised bed and they thrived.  

It had my thinking about this flower and I came up with this little quote.  I had someone leave a comment on a post that was something like "you're living the life I want."  No, no I'm not, trust me!  So, keep in mind, as we for some reason feel the need to scoll other's "fake books and Instashams" that not all you see is real and some of "it" is real hard to replicate.  Be hearty, humble and happy in your own garden.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin  

6 comments:

  1. Well I love zinnias I planted a couple of packets from the dollar store this year and most of them did bloom. I am looking out and the leaves are falling and the wind is blowing and the zinnias continue to bloom. Such a wonderful flower.
    Don't discount your life yes it is lots of work but I bet there are so many people who would trade with you.
    Here is to all of us living our best life
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cathy, I love that...here is to all of us living our best life!

      Delete
  2. It has taken me a lifetime, but I finally have learned that what one sees of others' lives is rarely the reality of what they are living...and I know it true when others assume what the life I am living is. And I am finally also learning to (re)appreciate flowers I always passed over...dahlias, asters...and, yes, zinnias. But unh uh....still a strong "no" on marigolds LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words Robin. I have not planted marigolds for a few years but they do like to keep bugs away.

      Delete
  3. I am with Robin..no marigolds, although their unpleasant scent does chase away bugs. On the other hand, I have always appreciated zinnias. Janice

    ReplyDelete