Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Being Prepared

 As someone who has extra supplies and food on hand, you could say I'm a prepper.  This post isn't about being smart, saving, preserving and being ready for anything that may come.  Rather, this post is about when you think you are prepared but things happen that mess up your plans.  

I may have been a bit overly ambitious when I ordered seeds this past spring.  I was excited to use my greenhouse!  Anyway, I don't know what I was thinking, but I started too many seeds.  I did give many of the young plants away for others to grow in their gardens.  However, I kept some heirloom tomatoes going all summer in my greenhouse as a little experiment.  I set out 16 plants about a month ago in a raised bed that did hold my 2 varieties of peas earlier.  We have a cattle panel teepee on this bed and I was thinking when it started to get cold I would cover it with a thick clear plastic.  It was a great plan and working too, I had green tomatoes.  

The other evening as I covered these tomatoes, feeling tickled that it was mid October and I was still growing tomatoes outside in north central Wisconsin, I made sure to secure the plastic as it was supposed to be windy.  We woke to a heavier frost and as I looked out the window, the plastic was twisted into a long "rope."  When I walked over to the garden, I could see that the plants suffered and were wilty.  I covered it back up - hoping for the best on the green tomatoes.



Well, one can have a great plan, that is showing promise of success and due to something out of your control, it fail.   This little lesson could apply to so many of life's scenarios:  dieting, cleaning, budgeting, time managment, I'm naming a few of mine (wink, wink).   

I was thinking about all of this in terms of eternity.  I can't help myself, my mind is always looking for scriptural lessons.  I know many people who are filling their storehouses with nonperishable goods.  Like I said in the first paragraph, this is smart, but one can't rely on "bread alone."  I have smart readers, I'm sure you understand my line of thinking here.  I will leave you with one scripture that keeps coming into my head.  

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am there ye may be also.  John 14:3

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

1 comment:

  1. Bummer about the tomatoes. These days, it seems most of my plans have plans of their own. I love that bible verse - it's one of my very favorites. And, yeah, I "get" it. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete