Thursday, October 14, 2021

Dreaming of Vintage Finds

I had a good dream this morning that I didn't want to wake from.  I was dreaming of treasure hunting.  Not at an estate sale, however, I've had those too.  This one was at an old department store.  You know the ones, we didn't have them in Wausau, but the ones with an elevator that took you to different levels.  Each level had different items for sale.  When you entered the elevator the operator would ask, "what floor?"  Also, there were older ladies that worked there, you remember the days, when they really wanted to help you find what you were looking for.  You know like in an old movie.   I miss those days.  



Anyway, it took place in today's time and the department store was closing.  They employees were digging up all kinds of old stock inventory and putting them out for sale.  I couldn't believe it, as like every decade of overstock was represented.  I was finding racks and racks of vintage Levi's with bell bottoms and vintage 1940 dresses all had tags and still priced with paper and ink type sticky tags.  Well, I happened upon a round wooden display rack.  Each section divided like a pie, 3 layers high.  Those bins were full of wool sweaters!  As I dug under them I found all kinds of cardboard boxes, some missing lids, others still had the old packing straw.  Inside were little Steif dogs, Nancy Ann Storybook dolls, old mechanical toys.  I couldn't believe it.  I filled my cart, which was one of those metal style shopping carts.  As I turned my cart around a column, I looked up and built into the floor in the children's department, was a tree house.  You entered through a tiny door and I could see all kinds of cool things up there.  I wanted to go up and look, only I was afraid to leave my cart unattended as I just spent all that time finding all these cool things.  It was already being circled like a buzzard to road kill.  I was afraid someone would take my items out of my cart.  You know this actually happened to me and still happens when I am thrift shopping, people follow me...ughh..."are you going to buy that?"

It was at this point, Ginger jumped on top of me and woke me up.  So, I didn't get to go up the stairs and see all the cool things.  I was telling Al about this dream and how I miss the days with old department stores.  The individual and personal attention given as you shopped.  We rarely went to stores like this as we couldn't afford them, but I do remember going to Herberger's bargain basement with my mom to look for fabric.  

I am pondering this dream and this came to me.  For some reason, I love to treasure hunt.  I assume it's from my Irish backgroud - looking for a pot of gold kinda thing.  My maternal side, Kincaid family, this desire is in many of my kin.  I assume, because in my dream, I almost felt like I didn't fit in to the department store scheme and I was unfamiliar with store as I didn't shop here as a child.  However, as an adult, I could fill my cart now...boy, I have that one down pat.  I can assume, that there will be more treasures, some I may only be able to look at and not buy, as my cart is already full. 

It was there, right there, that maybe the true meaning lies. My cart is full....I can't buy anymore treasures...until I do a store wide, digging up of old stock, reduction sale.  I'm laughing as I type this.  I recently had to turn down looking and buying, because my "cart" is full.  

I don't know how I will act upon this dream quite yet, but I need to make plan to do something.  

What do you dream about?

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


3 comments:

  1. LOL...I was just about to say "But we DID have one of those stores: Herberger's!!!" Man...I so wish I could fill a cart up with vintage Steiff at bargain basement prices. Heck...I'd settle for a dream where that happens...especially compared to the not-so-pleasant dream I seem to be stuck in. :-( ~Robin~ (And I'd get a bigger cart...just saying... ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fine dream you had. Enjoyed reading what you wanted in your cart. I do remember going to Prieh's department store. I had two floors and a basement. Elevator or stairs with all wood floors. Each area had a sales person and you paid for what you purchased at those areas. We use to see Santa there and tell him what we wanted for Christmas. Thanks for remining me of those times. Hope your dream comes true! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. You & Me Both...What Fun That Would Be...

    ReplyDelete